Much interest in coffee here still?

Ah, a familiar face Wintoid! How do you find the Robot? Looks like fun.
Rufus, my other half is Spanish, so we have had many a moka pot when visiting the outlaws. Apparently there's more technique to it than just filling it up with coffee and heating it till it stops. I have made the coffee while over there but not really sure how to get the best from one. I have an espresso machine for home and an aeropress for when I want brewed, cold brew, or for travelling. TBH though, I find the aeropress easy and convenient but not massively inspiring. I've had some great pourover when out, but never invested the time or got the gooseneck kettle etc for doing it at home.
+1 for the Moka pot! :) easy to use and I've even taken it out into the wild woods!

Paul.

Merkurologist

Supporter
Supporter
Before Christmas I went back to our old and trusted percolator and also began grinding my own coffee beans.... so far so good but I tend to get bored of brewing coffee so I take a break after a while.

I also enjoy stopping at cafés and I'm lucky to live in an area where there are many of them.

I have just ordered a V60 and Pact coffee subscription. I need to get a swan neck kettle before proceeding, so still on the Azera.

OP
hotmetal
I'm enjoying the various offerings from Django at the moment. All the coffees I've chosen so far have been really interesting (I tend to choose natural or experimental process) and they're great value if you buy by the kg. They also do a subscription, which I might sign up to at some point, but generally I prefer to choose what I want rather than let the roaster decide. For brewing I use an Aeropress so I don't need a gooseneck. I have had some great V60 and Kalita Wave brews in coffee shops though, more involved perhaps but also maybe better than Aeropress.

Digimonkey

Supporter
Supporter
Due to a drastic straightening of my finances recently I've had to try other options than my usual single origin beans roast to my wishes. I have to say the coffee Lidl sell is excellent for the price. I prefer a strong/thick brew so have gravitated to their Colombian, Indian or Guatemalan. They work well in the Moka pot, Haro or Minipresso. Not that much of a compromise really although my Kitchen Aid grinder is well in the huff. - I.

I have just ordered a V60 and Pact coffee subscription. I need to get a swan neck kettle before proceeding, so still on the Azera.
The swan neck kettle or jug is one of the things that put me off getting a V60. I've been told that you can use a regular kettle if you have a steady hand and pour. It could be worth trying

I've gone back to basics with coffee. Used to use an Aeropress - which is great - but now I prefer cowboy coffee. Fine dusty grind, fast extraction, then just pour it through a tea strainer into the cup.

You'll get a cm or so of sludge in the bottom of the cup but it seems to have a little more flavour than the Aeropress, probably because of all the little particles floating around which didn't get filtered out.

The swan neck kettle or jug is one of the things that put me off getting a V60. I've been told that you can use a regular kettle if you have a steady hand and pour. It could be worth trying
I use a bog standard kettle with my hario and have no problems. Just a steady hand is required, never felt the need for a swan neck.

Top Bottom