Monsavon Shaving Soap

rum said:
I wonder if this has been reformulated... I had some stinging sensation when I used it last year for a bit.
It was back in 2009-10 when I got my hands on it and used it quite regularly. It worked a treat. Hence my suspicions...

In 2009 Unilever bought the 'beauty' products division from the Sara Lee Corporation including the Monsavon range. If there was going to be any reformulation I guess it would have been some time after that. No idea if they did or not but while I was in holiday in France last week I found a pot of the stuff still branded Sara Lee so I'll soon be able to see if there is any difference.

Another one bites the dust then... Unilever I suppose aren't as bad as say P&G, who have butchered every company they bought starting with Art of Shaving...

Some people in France, mix Monsavon with essential oils they like.

Here is a recipe from Le Père Lucien, the French artisan soap maker (he was not glad with Monsavon, so he improved it)
http://www.rasage-traditionnel.com/...partir-du-monsavon?highlight=recette+monsavon

A quick translation by your humble servant:

- leave the soap dry for one month, it will shrink to 25%
- add either 6 grams of palm oil (cheapest oil to fry that can be found in supermarket), or coco oil/copha, or shea butter, or kokum, to improve the glide
- add 2ml of glycerin for hydration
- add 1ml of vetiver essential oil for the smell and to sooth the skin
- then dry and mix/knead again, and voilà!

Last edited:
I may give this a go, if it is good enough for Le Pere Lucien....

Lavender in the bowl and more "cinnamony" on the face. As others mentioned, I also got a slight burning feeling that I have never had before with any shave soap. In defense of the soap, I was using a blade new to me (vintage Gillette Super Thin Mejorada) and did an ATG pass on the lower cheeks that perhaps was the cause(?).

I decided to give this recipe a whirl and after a week mine is dried out at least 25% if not more. I grated it into smaller pieces and dried that one day. I then added the glycerin, oil (I chose canola) and a double dose (accidentally ) of Lemongrass essential oil. Weak it ain't!! I kneaded it all together and back into the bowl and into the windowsill it went. We shall see.