Modern Adjustable.

CjH

Hi guys...
Not been on for a while.... It's been a hectic few months, plus the wife twisted my arm and I finally agreed to get a puppy.... (Still not sure it's the best idea)
Anyway.... I'm thinking of adding a new adjustable to my small collection of razors. I have a Gillette slim adjustable. But I would love a premium one like the Ambassador. However.... My meagre income won't allow for such indulgence, so I was thinking of something along the lines of a pearl Flexi.

Your thoughts guys would be greatly appreciated.

The Pearl Flexi is fabulous and I throughly recommend it. The company have been honest about early issues and sorted them for early buyers and my v2 like Paul H has no issues. Certainly now there’s no problems. Ordering direct will get you a load of freebies thrown in as well. It’s still gives me a delightfully smooth yet close shave every time and handles every blade I’ve tried it with with ease. I think I paid about £70-80 direct but it’s well worth it. I too would love to try an ambassador or higher end but it’ll take a while to save up! In the mean time this is a great mid range effort. I love the weight and grip.

I too like the Pearl Flexi idea. I'm fairly sure I will be buying one soon.
For razors mentioned such as the Rockwell 6S, then why not consider a nice stainless Karve with a few extra plates...same difference as the 6S but the Karve is 'nicer'!
I have the stainless Karve with plates #C to #G, but I have never thought of it as an 'adjustable'.
My Fatboy and Slim (both sold now) and my Black Beauty are what the term 'adjustable' means to me. Have I been wrong all these years?

I too like the Pearl Flexi idea. I'm fairly sure I will be buying one soon.
For razors mentioned such as the Rockwell 6S, then why not consider a nice stainless Karve with a few extra plates...same difference as the 6S but the Karve is 'nicer'!
I have the stainless Karve with plates #C to #G, but I have never thought of it as an 'adjustable'.
My Fatboy and Slim (both sold now) and my Black Beauty are what the term 'adjustable' means to me. Have I been wrong all these years?
To me the Rockwell & the Karve are adjustable
and according to the manufacturers they also state adjustable.
i do see your point in the terms of fat boy, slim and pearl but i guess if a razor can be adjusted then it’s adjustable.
The Rockwell 6c in Shavestation just now for £45 now that’s a bargain in anyone’s books.
The Stainless 6s is over £50 dearer
is it worth it i very much doubt it is even although i have the 6s.
I also have the Karve although only have B & C plates at the moment but i’m guessing the OP dosent want to stretch his budget that far.

Not my type of thing is an adjustable but this does tickle my tickly bits

Not my type of thing is an adjustable but this does tickle my tickly bits

I was looking at the very same yesterday and getting tempted to hit the buy button. Never had a Merkur Progress just because of that plastic knob and this would be the answer. But I did have a Parker Variant which some say it's on par with the Progress and didn't like it one bit. So I keep reminding myself that as a deterrent from that buy button.
And of course now writing this there will be some of you saying the two are very much different with the Progress being better. And that is not going to help my RAD at all. :)
Everything aside the Opgress does look good.

Last edited:
I was looking at the very same yesterday and getting tempted to hit the buy button. Never had a Merkur Progress just because of that plastic knob and this would be the answer. But I did have a Parker Variant which some say it's on par with the Progress and didn't like it one bit. So I keep reminding myself that as a deterrent from that buy button.
And of course now writing this there will be some of you saying the two are very much different with the Progress being better. And that is not going to help my RAD at all. :)
Everything aside the Opgress does look good.
To be fair the progress was the better razor out of the two imo, I had both, so hit that buy it now button! :)

Paul.

Last edited:
Hi guys...
Not been on for a while.... It's been a hectic few months, plus the wife twisted my arm and I finally agreed to get a puppy.... (Still not sure it's the best idea)
Anyway.... I'm thinking of adding a new adjustable to my small collection of razors. I have a Gillette slim adjustable. But I would love a premium one like the Ambassador. However.... My meagre income won't allow for such indulgence, so I was thinking of something along the lines of a pearl Flexi.

Your thoughts guys would be greatly appreciated.
I know the Ambassador is expensive, but can be found second hand. You could put together a small saving plan and just wait a little while. It's absolutely amazing, for me it could be the only razor to own (in fact is like owing a large number each of them with a different personality...). It's worth the effort, and it keeps a lot of its value.

I have a slim adjustable as well as a latest version Pearl Flexi. I would get the Pearl as I get
a terrific shave from it. I go from 3 to 4 and it is instant rather than having to change plates on other so called adjustables.

Back
Top Bottom