Mixed Boar & Badger Knots

I love good boar knots but I also like variety. I suppose I’m keen to experience as much in the way of different knots as I can realistically afford. My first experience with a good quality brush was the famous Vulfix 404 ‘Bodger’.

I've read great things about Semogue Mistura knots which has reignited my interest. However, I’d rather purchase a knot to put in my own handle and Semogue don’t offer this as far as I know.

The only knot I’ve found that looks good is this offering from Maggard’s:

Maggard’s Mixed Boar & Badger Knot 70:30

2401C9EE-236F-4FF0-AE88-4D3848F633B0.jpegHave any of you chaps any experience with this knot or know of any other alternatives?

Thanks again,
Graeme

Although I have both the 'bodger' and the Omega 11047 and will never need to replace them, I'm slightly dismayed to see that both have been discontinued.

You can get a mixed knot from apshaveco.com - it's quite dear!

I've had a go with the SOC Mistura. I like those resin handles.

I think it was a brush I could have really grown to like, but I was feeling flighty and splashed out on a Chubby 3 in Best, which occupied me completely for a time.

I’ve since taken delivery of a Maggards mixed knot in 26mm and although I’ve only test lathered it to help with the defunking process, I am really rather impressed. It shed two hairs the first time, none the second and holds a hefty amount of lather. The face feel is soft without gel but has presence although isn’t scritchy at all. I can see more of these in my future as well as their standard two band: a 26mm two band is allegedly with RM for delivery.

I’ve since taken delivery of a Maggards mixed knot in 26mm and although I’ve only test lathered it to help with the defunking process, I am really rather impressed. It shed two hairs the first time, none the second and holds a hefty amount of lather. The face feel is soft without gel but has presence although isn’t scritchy at all. I can see more of these in my future as well as their standard two band: a 26mm two band is allegedly with RM for delivery.
Now I’d be very interested to see how it goes. I’m a boar convert and want a good bodger but they are few and far between.

I have a mixed horse hair brush, I can't recall what it was mixed with. I probably used it once, which is more than my pure horse hair. TBH I just wanted to add them to my collection..

AP Shave Co offers a 24 mm “bodger” in a fan-shape. I haven’t tried it, but based on my experience with their badger and synthetic knots it’d be worth a try.
Too right it would be. My #1 stop for synthetic knots but I haven’t tried their badger yet. Got three of their fan shaped G5C two band synth knots on the way with the allegedly latest fibre from Japan. No reason to expect anything other than Andrew will have nailed it on the head again. Anyhoo, must go as Matron is sharpening a flensing knife dangerously and looking scarily ominous.

Did you find a good source for a 26mm bodger knot in the end? I have a handle I would like to try one in, I’ve just tried putting together my first with a simple Synbad synthetic knot, but would like a bodger, 26mm if possible. It looks like Maggards might be the only one. I am tempted by the AP shave’s G5C two band synth and their badgers though.

The Maggard’s knot I have does seem like it will be a good one from experience but whether I will end up being the end user or someone else remains to be seen. It may go in a handle for sale, it may stay. Depends on business…

Back
Top Bottom