Mitchell’s Wool Fat

Regarding the water - we have pretty hard water around here... so I've been using boiled water for MWF (after it cooled down of course). Can't really say if it helped or not, as I've been changing the technique as well.
It's my understanding (I may be wrong) that boiling the water would make it slightly more hard because some water would dissipate as steam and the remaining water would have a very slightly higher concentrations of minerals.:unsure:

It's my understanding (I may be wrong) that boiling the water would make it slightly more hard because some water would dissipate as steam and the remaining water would have a very slightly higher concentrations of minerals.:unsure:
Happy to be educated about this - I've just googled a bit on how to make water softer and several places suggest boiling it. The argument seems to be that some minerals (e.g. calcium) deposit on the sides and bottom of the kettle, which is why they should be descaled from time to time...

Yea, I don't trap the steam, I just use a regular kettle.

Happy to be educated about this - I've just googled a bit on how to make water softer and several places suggest boiling it. The argument seems to be that some minerals (e.g. calcium) deposit on the sides and bottom of the kettle, which is why they should be descaled from time to time...

Yea, I don't trap the steam, I just use a regular kettle.
That makes sense, it occurred to me before I posted about the deposits, but I still posted. I dunno.

Not really. So far only very slightly watered the soap less than 30 seconds before starting to load the brush. Will try this as well...
If you shave after a shower - bloom the fat with warm water, jump in the shower. When you are ready to shave, use the soapy MWF water as a pre-shave - soap will hopefully be ready to go;)

Last edited:
I know a little about water, and how to purify it due to being a reef keeper (marine aquariums for corals, fish & invertebrates) for many years
Total Disolved Solids (TDS) can be effectively removed by Reverse Osmosis (RO) & Deionisation (DI)
RO alone can bring TDS down to around 20PPM. Final stage DI brings TDS down to zero. (Quite the opposite to what is required for keeping corals alive, but handy for keeping sensitive, soft water fish such as Discus)
This would provide the softest water available, but a lot of hassle just for lathering shave soap.
Using boiled water left to cool is the most sensible choice if you feel like experimenting.

I know a little about water, and how to purify it due to being a reef keeper (marine aquariums for corals, fish & invertebrates) for many years
Total Disolved Solids (TDS) can be effectively removed by Reverse Osmosis (RO) & Deionisation (DI)
RO alone can bring TDS down to around 20PPM. Final stage DI brings TDS down to zero. (Quite the opposite to what is required for keeping corals alive, but handy for keeping sensitive, soft water fish such as Discus)
This would provide the softest water available, but a lot of hassle just for lathering shave soap.
Using boiled water left to cool is the most sensible choice if you feel like experimenting.
Lot of hassle? I can assure you that there are now members searching for affordable reverse osmosis machines for the perfect lather. The rabbit hole is deep indeed.

Lot of hassle? I can assure you that there are now members searching for affordable reverse osmosis machines for the perfect lather. The rabbit hole is deep indeed.

If you insist . . .

Disclaimer - I accept no responsibility for ensuing useless lather !

If you 'really want' water at a TDS of 000 or 001, you can ask your local water fed pole window cleaner, I'm sure he'd let you have a litre or 2.
Or you could just buy a 5 gallon drum of it from a local pure water supplier.
Or if you want I'll send you some powdered pure water you can dilute yourself... :p

If you 'really want' water at a TDS of 000 or 001, you can ask your local water fed pole window cleaner, I'm sure he'd let you have a litre or 2.
Or you could just buy a 5 gallon drum of it from a local pure water supplier.
Or if you want I'll send you some powdered pure water you can dilute yourself... :p
Interesting. I live in a city by a major river and have used the river water to lather up with MWF relatively successfully. Now you've got me wondering if I should source some purer water to see how it compares. Would you be able to send some of the powdered water to the US? I've been living under the Brooklyn Bridge since I bought it a few years back.

Back
Top Bottom