MiniDV to PC

I have a broken MiniDV video camera that won't record but will play back the tapes I have. Is there a simple way to connect this camera to my PC and record the footage either to make a digital file or a viewable DVD? I know a camera shop that can make a DVD for me but I would rather do it myself.

OK got the firewire lead. Now it appears my new PC does not have a firewire input socket. Could that be right?! I think my old one did but it's in the loft gathering dust. :(

Pig Cat said:
OK got the firewire lead. Now it appears my new PC does not have a firewire input socket. Could that be right?! I think my old one did but it's in the loft gathering dust. :(

Then add a Firewire card - peanuts on eBay.

It could be that rather than being a 6 pin Firewire it's got a 4 pin (or vice versa)

USB/Firewire converters tend to be shite, not because the converters themselves are, but because USB inherently can't sustain the throughput - so dropped frames galore (at best)

antdad said:
Firewire to USB lead/adapter?

Yup looks like it's going that way. I've been quoted £30 by a camera shop to stick a tape on to DVD but just had a look and I have at least two that I'd want doing. So I think an adaptor is worth buying. Thanks chaps. :D

hunnymonster said:
Pig Cat said:

Then add a Firewire card - peanuts on eBay.

It could be that rather than being a 6 pin Firewire it's got a 4 pin (or vice versa)

USB/Firewire converters tend to be shite, not because the converters themselves are, but because USB inherently can't sustain the throughput - so dropped frames galore (at best)

The part that plugs in to the camera appears to be a 4 pin. The other end of the cable is larger with possibly three pins inside but I can't really tell. I'm tempted now to resurrect the old PC and see what can be done.

Pig Cat said:
The part that plugs in to the camera appears to be a 4 pin. The other end of the cable is larger with possibly three pins inside but I can't really tell. I'm tempted now to resurrect the old PC and see what can be done.

That's 6 Pin :) The new PC hasn't got a 4-pin Firewire interface has it? That seemed to be becoming more common...

hunnymonster said:
Pig Cat said:

That's 6 Pin :) The new PC hasn't got a 4-pin Firewire interface has it? That seemed to be becoming more common...

Oh, 3x2=6? Doesn't appear to have any sort of Firewire capability. :roll: Oh well I'll sort it, thanks for your help anyway chaps.

Back
Top Bottom