mild/aggressive de blade & mild/aggressive razor, what combo do you prefer?

D

Deleted member 12673

hey there people, so whats your preference from the below?

1). mild de blade and aggressive razor?

2). aggressive de blade and mild razor?

3). aggressive de blade and aggressive razor?

4). mild de blade and mild razor?

You're over analysing the whole issue . . . . It's only shaving
Any razor/blade combination will shave, and everyone is so individual in their preferences that it's irrelevant
Well said,Paul...This traditional wet shaving hobby/pastime passion of ours makes us forget that it's just shaving at the end of the day,nothing more,nothing less....

Last edited:
1 might appear to give a smoother shave and suit folks with a thick beard ... single pass might do it
2 might appear to give a very efficient shave and suit folks with sensitive skin ... again, single pass might do it

In practice, if you "ride the cap" you can get pretty much the same shave from any razor. Aggression is more about blade protrusion than blade gap. Blade gap just assists with not clogging if you're mowing off days of growth. I said it (probably above) but I got a memorable and very close shave from a third run blade and probably the mildest razor I've ever used (the Star clone). It's all about angle.

i tend to prefer combo 2 - Have settled on a Merkur 20c (same head as 34) and Astra SP or Feather blades.

I do think, as others have said, you can get a good shave from most combos - but imho the differences are about how slowly and carefully you need to go (or not). My chosen combo of Merkur + Astra probably doesn't give the closest / greatest shave but its is a good everyday combo for me.

When i want a really good shave i load up a Feather into a more aggressive razor like my Edwin Jagger or my Parker 96 and go a little more slowly and gently - something i should really be doing every shave.

When i want a quick shave i reach for the Gillette Fusion and it does a fine job or for quick safe DE shave i load a Derby Extra into my Wilkinson Sword plastic DE - does the job but not by any means the closest ever shave.

hey there people, so whats your preference from the below?

1). mild de blade and aggressive razor?

2). aggressive de blade and mild razor?

3). aggressive de blade and aggressive razor?

4). mild de blade and mild razor?

I'd echo most of the sentiment made by others. My go to tends to be an adjustable i.e. Supply Injector razor V2, Schick Adjustable Injector 'M' Type, or my most used Rockwell 6C DE (although when I get bored, I'll break out the General, Hawk, etc). A lot of trial and error, if needs be a shave diary, but you'll eventually find your sweet spot. Its usually a fine balance of expectations, and a compromise of sorts, especially if your skin is sensitive and your beard is like steel wire. But don't get so determined to get BBS.

Back
Top Bottom