Meterology lessons

For a rank amateur like me with zero formal training in the meteorology (I'm a biologist by training if not vocation), to read such warm words from a Master Mariner is rather humbling. I almost feel a touch of Impostor Syndrome! I don't doubt that your ability to 'read' the subtle shifts in conditions is light years ahead of mine! I'd love it for you to contribute content on Met matters from a seafaring perspective, if that's OK.

Absolutely. Our methodology tends to be a bit hammer and nails approach but after all these years you get that 'feel'. Knowing the basics can get you a long way though.

If yours is purely through an interest then I am mightly impressed. Your knowledge as I said before is very thorough.

Climatology is a fascinating subject together with the science behind it all.

Nice stuff

Brilliantly said @Satanfriendly I concur that the time and effort you have put into this is highly commendable @chrisbell
A fascinating read and thank you for sharing, I am finding this so interesting.

I will make a 'rules of thumb' contribution when I can get some time and sitting in front of a real keyboard. Phones are so hit and miss and nore than often a miss at that!

Keep up the great work!

Just found this and thought it was interesting - ignore the details of how features are marked as they're US forecast maps and ours are different, but the basic points are valid:

https://www.weather.gov/jetstream/basic

Last edited: