Merkur Vision

I have a Merkur Futur which is very good. It was my first and only DE razor until Rev-O lent me three vintage Gillettes to try out and possibly buy. I didn't know anything else, so adapted to it quite quickly, but it is a big brute compared to the dainty G's. Now I have tried them I have decided to take one off Ollie's hands and, being a minimalist (gasps of shock!) I have offered him first refusal on the Futur. Don't expect he'll want it so if not I'll offer it for sale here. Watch this space. Is there a BST here?

Hunnymonster
I won a Lux razor on TSD. Seen the retail price before I got it, and thought in the words of Neil Young 'piece of crap' It arrived, looked good, stainless steel construction throughout, tried it, and... it was excellent. As good if not better than razors 4 times the price. I have a Futur and a long handle Barberpole and they are all I've ever tried. There is a guy on TSD making stainless steel razors for a good price. they look the bizzo, open comb. Any of the troops have experienced open comb razors, what's the deal?

I have a Gillette Ball End New (open comb) here and it's the dog's danglers - it's kind of like living on the edge, you can feel the gap (if that makes sense).... I also have a no-name travel job (open comb) and it's as aggressive as wiping your hand over your face...

Like the Lux - and if you have an aluminium handled Tech that you'd like to have a heavier handle on, the Lux handle is interchangeable.

I always found it too expensive, I would love to try one but always stopped short of shelling out the cash in case I did't like it . I have watched a few on the bay and they still go for a price that I would rather just buy a new one, so perhaps I should buy one one day just to see what it is like and sell if not for me.

So from what you are sating apart from the heavy nature of the razor it performs well. I imagined the sheer bulk of the head would maybe make it a little hard to get under nose etc.

If you had to compare it to another razor is it better/worse or just different?

Thanks for that, I was able to hold both the Vision and Futur in my hands at the same time at a shop in Glasgow (now no more). Of the two I prefered the Futur and my wife later bought me a nice travel set with the Futur and a Dovo Silvertip in a lovely leather shave case for last Christmas so that was very nice.

Still one day if I seen one cheap enough I woud pick it up just to try it. I think my favourite razor is the Aristocrat #16. it is weighted perfectly for me, just a little more weight in the head and a lovely looking razor.

Magicpixie said:
'Tis one of the few I haven't tried. Commander Adama used one in BSG though, trivia fans. :geek:

That's Admiral Adama, skinjob! :geek:

Rangers, I use an open comb NEW and I love it. That and the Lux (love it too) are the only razors I use, though I would like to try an adjustable like a Futur and also I'm very curious about the Slant.

g-train said:
Magicpixie said:
'Tis one of the few I haven't tried. Commander Adama used one in BSG though, trivia fans. :geek:

Rangers, I use an open comb NEW and I love it. That and the Lux (love it too) are the only razors I use, though I would like to try an adjustable like a Futur and also I'm very curious about the Slant.

I knew him back when he was a Commander...

Magicpixie said:
g-train said:
Magicpixie said:

I knew him back when he was a Commander...

Duly noted.

Troops

Thank you for info on open comb razors. Still a bit unsure how they work. I can obviously see the 'comb' aspect, does that mean more if the blade is in contact with your fizzer as only a section of the safety bar exists.
If this makes no sense to anyone I don't care cause it just about makes sense to me.

Russell
AKA nosaebright :?

Back
Top Bottom