Merkur, Muehle & Jagger Heads

Tried the Jagger DE 87 today after a trade with Trainman (Dave) and had quite a jolt with this razor I had not considered purchasing. It sure played a sweet note during today's shave. Rest of the picture is Bling; Fatboys being forward deployed to England, Otto Roth 3 piece was also in the trade as a travel razor. I haven't given much research to the Jagger, I own it now. Just very pleased how well it held the blade and shaved. My son tried it and liked how it handled and looked, especially the head and mild gullets (nothing like a Progress though). Most of the time I go with the 34C, but this Edwin Jagger with Muehle Head could change that.

Attachments

• Edwin Jagger DE 87.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 161
Robert Otten said:
Tried the Jagger DE 87 today after a trade with Trainman (Dave) and had quite a jolt with this razor I had not considered purchasing. It sure played a sweet note during today's shave. Rest of the picture is Bling; Fatboys being forward deployed to England, Otto Roth 3 piece was also in the trade as a travel razor. I haven't given much research to the Jagger, I own it now. Just very pleased how well it held the blade and shaved. My son tried it and liked how it handled and looked, especially the head and mild gullets (nothing like a Progress though). Most of the time I go with the 34C, but this Edwin Jagger with Muehle Head could change that.

Morning Robert, having now spent a small fortune on vintage Gillette TTO’s, I can quite categorically say that none of them shave better than my EJ Chatsworth which is a blade tamer. If the blade doesn’t work in an EJ with these heads then they won’t work at all.

Evening and soon to be morning Richard:

I as well. Couple grand in 5 months and now I'm taking stock of it all. Eight months ago I couldn't give an opinion on the top 3 blades and why or how many times I use a blade before desposing. I wanted, not needed, an SS, Adjustable, Black, Blue, Red Tip and Toggle and Fatboy AND .... After a certain point, early 50's perhaps later 30s, I think the heads became the same; or very close. I don't know enough to disect ball bearings and can only answer as a consumer on tech aspects. A slim adjustables head is different from FB. I shaved with a Toggle on Christmas, but the Jagger had no problem getting the upperlip under the nose. Because I read about the razors in other sites and felt I had to do research to buy one, first purchased Merkur 34C HD and really like it. Went for a 37C after all the posts saying it had to be handled like tritium. Ssshhhssssh! Pick up the damn tool, mind your business and shave. It's one very fine shave. Trainman convinced me and encouraged me to give it a go. It went uneventful in blood and gore and used it all of one work week. Those slants are a damn good razor. But no one else makes them. Hell, if there is one thing that cuts my rawhide, it's a single edge. Much respect for that type and I purchased many diffrent colors and handles. Straight? Eventually.

" Morning Robert, having now spent a small fortune on vintage Gillette TTO’s, I can quite categorically say that none of them shave better than my EJ Chatsworth which is a blade tamer. If the blade doesn’t work in an EJ with these heads then they won’t work at all."

My thinking exactly. I now know how to shop and get to the garage sales to check things over. They are out there but you have to put some skin into the game and get off the beaten path; Robert Frost if you will. Antique shops now ask us if we have anything to give them on consignment. People are starting to (or I'm just discovering) it won't be easy for long - to get them for below a tenner. You can get a deal with free adjustables tossed in with the mug you bought for 10 bucks sort a thing. It's taking the time off to get out and about out here in the Northwest US. YMMV in different parts of the country or a big city, etc.

But again the heads are the same for the most part. So the Edwin Jagger from Sheffield ..... I like the clean lines and the looks at how the head is finished; more chrome, smoothed edges. The weight of the head. The gullets to usher away the beard and soap. I first noticed them on a loaner from a friend - Merkur Progress, then he loaned me the Futur and of course I started out 34 and led to 37 and a Hoffritz (same thing I know, but the boxes are way cool). The German heads are something to behold. They look fresh. They look new. And Muehle heads are just as sharp. Haven't seen a Pills, but I've just gotten started.

If you're looking for a few things let me know PM and I'll put that on my list while out shopping. Regards, Robert

Paul said:
Merkur:
Slant Head (closed comb)

The most aggressive of the fixed head razors but with a reputation of being fierce which is not really deserved.
Designed to slice the hairs rather than just cut this is often recommended for people with coarse / tough beards but sensitive skin. Available in Chrome or Gold in a 3” handle or just Chrome with a 4” heavy weight handle.
Knew there was a reason I chose this one! Not that I knew what it was apart from the twisted head.
Clever close DE that really makes the best of a blade's performance and efficiency. Plus, that grip is tremendous for safe control. :shave

merkator said:
Paul said:
Merkur:
Slant Head (closed comb)

The most aggressive of the fixed head razors but with a reputation of being fierce which is not really deserved.
Designed to slice the hairs rather than just cut this is often recommended for people with coarse / tough beards but sensitive skin. Available in Chrome or Gold in a 3” handle or just Chrome with a 4” heavy weight handle.
Knew there was a reason I chose this one! Not that I knew what it was apart from the twisted head.
Clever close DE that really makes the best of a blade's performance and efficiency. Plus, that grip is tremendous for safe control. :shave

I agree! My Merkur 39c Slantbar has rapidly become the razor of choice. ;)

Thanks for the research into the thread Paul. Never tried a SLANT, though I am enjoying my first non-GIllette DE in the form of Edwin Jagger 86 :shave
Is it true the metalurgy or quality control of Merkur razors became inferior? Is that urban myth?

I bought the Merkur Open Comb 25C razor a couple of weeks ago, and I find it milder to use than my Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Barley razor. Interestingly, the Jagger head fits the Merkur handle but not the Merkur head to the Jagger handle. This is because the Merkur has a larger hole in the head - designed by a trepanning enthusiast maybe. I may try the Jagger head on Merkur handle combination just to see what it is like.

What a find! A UK based DE shaving forum. Feels good to know you are all here!

Having bought a Parker with a head that must have been designed during the French Revolution and an open comb Muhle that gives me nicks and weepers, I found that I could swap these heads for a Jagger closed comb - much better suited to my six day old DE practice - and shave relatively closely and all but bloodlessly. Thing is, I love the handles from the razors whose heads are just way too aggressive for me (at this stage anyway) and don't want to risk a mix-up with swapping heads back and forth.
As the Jagger closed comb razors seem best suited to my current ability, does anyone know where I can buy Jagger heads (without a handle)? I guess it doesn't have to be a Jagger per se, just a closed comb and as mild as a Jagger. I await a reply from the Jagger factory but I'm not holding my breath. These are all three piece razors I'm asking about.
Seems wasteful to buy even the cheapest complete razor just to keep the head.

Bechet45 said:
What a find! A UK based DE shaving forum. Feels good to know you are all here!

Having bought a Parker with a head that must have been designed during the French Revolution and an open comb Muhle that gives me nicks and weepers, I found that I could swap these heads for a Jagger closed comb - much better suited to my six day old DE practice - and shave relatively closely and all but bloodlessly. Thing is, I love the handles from the razors whose heads are just way too aggressive for me (at this stage anyway) and don't want to risk a mix-up with swapping heads back and forth.
As the Jagger closed comb razors seem best suited to my current ability, does anyone know where I can buy Jagger heads (without a handle)? I guess it doesn't have to be a Jagger per se, just a closed comb and as mild as a Jagger. I await a reply from the Jagger factory but I'm not holding my breath. These are all three piece razors I'm asking about.
Seems wasteful to buy even the cheapest complete razor just to keep the head.

Tried a tech head? Cheap as chips and very mild. You will be able to pick one up here.

Welcome, by the way.

Far from cheap as chips but if you want a Jagger head, here's where to get one -

http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/EJDEHbl5%7C1327677144%7Cde~head~@c~@b~@r~All%7C0%7Cuser%7C1,0,0,1%7C4%7C

Hello all!

Thank you Paul for clarifying all those numbers! :icon_smile:
And also for the cross explanations: I finally understand more about heads!
new head made in the EU for Muehle & Edwin Jagger

Now I know Muehle & Edwin Jagger have the same head design!

However you say they are based on the Merkur design: which head is more aggressive?
I am concerned as I am re-starting to use DE razors, but do not have many, so, in sight of a buy, I'd like to clarify my ideas!

Thank you!

What an excellent thread. After one quick read I now know the designation for the two piece and three piece razors of some manufacturers. What does the C and G stand for on a Merkur (Chrome or Gold finish)?

Back
Top Bottom