Merkur, Muehle & Jagger Heads

The top plates are different with Merkur, Muhle, and Jagger razors. The Muhle razor top plate has the least curvature, so this results in more blade exposure. The Jagger top plate has slightly more curvature than Muhle, so the blade exposure is less. The Merkur top plate, from a 3 piece razor, has more curvature so there is even less blade exposure.

So although the Muhle and Jagger heads may appear identical, only the closed combed base plates are, but the top plates have slightly different curvatures. This may partly explain why the R41 open comb has an aggressive reputation because the top plate does not bend the blade quite as much as a Jagger top plate. So the R41 open comb razor could be made less aggressive by using either a Jagger top plate, or a Merkur top plate from a 3 piece razor, since they have the same threading and alignment pin positions.

One thing I have noticed is that when I placed the R41 top plate onto the closed comb plate, the 2 alignment holes were not completely full.

I recently added a Merkur Progress to my razor collection and I have used it 3 times. Problem is I cannot get to like this razor and wish I had bought the Edwin Jagger DE 89L which was my other thought. I also tried the Future and did not get on with that either! I prefer my Muhle R89, my Gillette Tech, my Parkers and Fat Boy. Anyone else find this? Anyone want to swop a newish DE 89L for the Progress? Still got the box.

I recently added a Merkur Progress to my razor collection and I have used it 3 times. Problem is I cannot get to like this razor and wish I had bought the Edwin Jagger DE 89L which was my other thought. I also tried the Future and did not get on with that either! I prefer my Muhle R89, my Gillette Tech, my Parkers and Fat Boy. Anyone else find this?...

I don't like EJ, Merkur or MÜHLE as IMO they offer nothing 'above & beyond' for my face and I don't like the 'scallops', but that is purely subjective of course. I just cannot see any real innovation on their part which is merely a typical Teutonic approach IMO. They mostly seem to recycle the same head styles with a bewildering array of handles. Of course, that is even more subjective. The only exception for me is the Merkur 'Bakelite' which uses a totally different head style which I like and no 'scallops' to boot.

Regardless, I have used an EJ DE89 & to be frank the clone Razorock Mission DE razor sold by Italian Barber that a friend loaned me to try was almost as well finished and only cost $19.99 (£26+). The kicker was that IMO it shaves just a tad more aggressively than the EJ as well.

http://www.italianbarber.com/products/razorock-mission-3-piece-double-edge-de-safety-razor

You're not alone in liking the 89 head Jim. I've had or used quite a few DEs over the years, Gillettes of many types, slants, future, progress, various Hoffritz etc before discovering and moving on to single edges. My EJ 89 is one of the few I've retained and still give a run out every few weeks just for fun. For me they are elegant, smooth, comfortable performers which do just what they were designed to do.

JohnnyO. o/.

Hi Paul,

Your article is well written and has a lot of information. I have an Edwin Jagger 89 L and Muhle 41 twist. Edwin Jagger is so easy to use while I find Muhle 41 R extremely aggressive. Can you give some tips as to how to use this razor more safely. I get nicks every time when I use Muhle while that is not the case with ED 89.

Hi Paul,

Your article is well written and has a lot of information. I have an Edwin Jagger 89 L and Muhle 41 twist. Edwin Jagger is so easy to use while I find Muhle 41 R extremely aggressive. Can you give some tips as to how to use this razor more safely. I get nicks every time when I use Muhle while that is not the case with ED 89.

Back
Top Bottom