Merkur Future -v- Feathers AS

I'm not sure why but I really like the idea of a Feathers AS Razor.

I'm currently using , and liking a Merkur future...I'm liking it so much that I bought a second one to keep in my travel wash kit.

Here's the problem, when I've tried using other razors I just dont get as good, close and comfortable shave as I do with the Merkur. I've tried 3 or 4 other razors , and tried using different angles / techniques etc with each but none seem to come close to the Futur.

Whilst I like the idea of the Feather I'm not so keen on spending all that cash on it just to find out I don't get on with it, (least of all as SWMBO would not be amused at all) and my existing Futur shaves me better.

So can any one give me a comparison / review between the Merkur Futur and the Feathers AS in terms of shaving style, aggressiveness and I guess general shavability ??

I've tried with a Edwin Jaggeer DE86 and a Feathers Portable Razor , oh and a boots DE plastic special ..the less said about that one the better

The Feather AS is a well made razor however, its very mild. On the other hand the Futur is an adjustable that is much cheaper. You can set your aggression from mild to very aggressive. The Futur has been around a long time and well made.

I've used both. I own 2 futur's and had the Feather on a loan for a while. I love the flexibility of mild to wild of the futur but the feather can give shaves that are equally on par.

People often say its mild, fussy with angle etc etc but I never noticed none of that.

The aggressiveness is adequate and copes with my beard which is quite thick without any issues.

The main thing is the feather will give you close and comfortable all the time. Where as with the futur, there's a chance you'll have a close uncomfortable shave.

For build quality, the feather is unmatched.

Ok it's sounding good so far ... I tend to use the Futur on either 1 or 2 which are the mildest settings on the future.. what else do people think ?

I've had both. I've kept the Feather.

Both give excellent shaves in my view - but very different in character. I wouldn't describe the Feather AS as mild, but I wouldn't describe it as aggressive either. You get excellent feedback as to where the blade is on your face and what it's doing, and, if there is a knack to getting the angle just right, I mastered it very easily and without really noticing. (Which is to say that I don't think there really is anything about getting the angle just right - certainly no more than with any other DE razor.) My experience is that it works best with blades that are regarded as sharper than average - Feathers, Gillette Super Thins, and the like.

No, it's not cheap, but in terms of it and finish, it leaves the Futur in the weeds as far as I'm concerned. I just found that the Futur wasn't something I really enjoyed using all that much - it was OK, the quality of the shave was hard to fault, but it just didn't set my day up in the way that the Feather does. The Feather feels really special - a superlatively made item, which gives pleasure not just in how well it works, but in the tangible and visible quality of its execution - like an unobtrusive, very high quality wristwatch. If I want to shave with an adjustable, I'll reach for my Gillette Slim Adjustable from 1964.

I'm on the other end as opposed to Mandobear, I really needed time to get acquainted with the Feather AS.

It does not have the same super tight angle zone like the Gillette Tech head or the Gillette Old, but it has a different angle than the merkurs I have tried.

I was ready to sell it on after two weeks, then left it on the shelf to go back to my beloved Merkur Slant and some SE shaving. After I came back to the Feather AS I just found those angles, and its a keeper now.

Comfortable shaves every time, and ever bit as close as other razors.

/Max

I would agree with Max I use a Feather AS - D1 and a Feather straight and Merkur and a few straight razors, and personally I dont think the Feather is a mild shaver, but it's certainly not aggressive either, but where a lot of people fail with the Feather and this is my theory as Max as already said it does have a very specific angle a sweet spot hit this and you wont get a better shave. after saying all that, it certainly is the most beautiful engineered razor i've ever seen, photo's dont do it justice.

Regards Jamie.

I have owned a Futur which I no longer have, I enjoyed it very much mainly set on 2, 2.5, I had some great shaves, but it can bite you as will any adjustable set too high. I have owned the Feather AS D1 now for nearly a year and I always use it with a Feather blade and get very close comfortable shaves with it. As mentioned above it is extremely well made, very good quality. I have read that the Feather AS D1 head design is based on the Gillette Tech, I don't know whether that is true, they do look similar, I just read many reviews about the Feather before I bought it, as like you I was a bit worried about spending that sort of money on a razor that might not work for me. I have used the Tech and had some excellent shaves using a Feather blade. Maybe you could try that setup first before buying the Feather AS D1. (Just a thought)

Kind Regards

Adrian

Thanks guys ... any other thoughts ?

I guess what I need to do now is find someone willing to let me borrow a Feathers AS for a week to try it out... I appreciate I'm new here so I'd be prepared to pay a sensible security deposit whilst I borrowed the Razor ... any takers ?

Back
Top Bottom