merkur futur, what next

Hi,

Im new to DE shaving and just starte 4 weeks ago, so far i only have this merkur, and its been fine no cuts, or irritation. So far i have used the below blades

Derby
First time i used razor settings 3 WTG - 2 XTG - 1 ATG this some times felt like it was digging in, Face fairly smooth, odd little nick
Second shave 3 WTG - 2 XTG - 1 ATG this some times felt like it was digging in, Face smooth
Third shave 5 WTG - 3 XTG - 1 ATG this some times felt like it was digging in but not as much
On all these couldnt really go ATG top on top lip

Astra SP
3 WTG - 2 XTG - 1 ATG, better than above
5 WTG - 5 XTG - 1 ATG again a bit better
Could just manage ATG top lip, if I kept moving accross slightly each pass

Persona Platinums
5 WTG - 5 XTG - 5 XTG (other direction) - 3 ATG - 1 ATG top lip Still hard to do top lip, but a good shave, better than past 2 blades and no cuts

Feathers
1 WTG - 1 XTG - 1 ATG - 1 ATG top lip much easier
By far the best shave yet

So now im looking for a non adjustable and have seen

edwin jagger 3 one 6
muhle rocca

but aslo have a itch for titanium
Blackbird ti
Henson ti22

Just wondered what peoples thought on which to try next,WHat would be comparable to the Futur on 1 setting

thanks

I’d avoid the Blackbird if you want a Futur on setting one feel. Maybe the Henson?
cheers,
I didnt mind the Futur on higher numbers with previous blades, but the only reason i went higher was on 1st, 2nd pass it would miss odd hairs, and i dont have a thick or much growth
Im off to try the Futur next on a higher setting with a Feather. but dont know what this would archieve since on 1 it did it all.

Razorock Game Changer .84 SB Is close to setting 1 on a Futur imo. (I used a Futur exclusively for 7 plus years, and rarely used it above setting 2)

EJ / Muhle DE89 do a fine job (in their own quiet way), and are perfectly capable.

Merkur 34C is also very good. If you prefer a longer hadle or a bit more weight the 38C could be the answer?

Karve (Christopher Bradley) D plate will shave close to a Future set at 1.
I believe they come in aluminium as well as brass.
They're very well made, and built to last.

Blackbird Lite would be the obvious suggestion I guess? I don't have one but I would like one lol

The Tatara Masamune is efficient and quite skin-kind also!!!

(I know these are both pricey but you seem to be looking at high end stuff)

Yeah I do look at the SS or AL alternatives then think for what extra it costs, I would prefer the TI

Thats not to say I dont like the Futur, and other SS models,

The big head on the Futur doesnt seem the best but Ive nothing to compare it to, and a few saying the blade isnt as well clamped as a screw type makes me want to try one, just obviously thetes soo many variations

3ONE6 is a very comfortable and smooth razor, but it is also efficient. Stainless steel, so should last well. Nicely finished. Some early reports of faulty handles but I’ve not seen anything recently.

I’ve not tried your razor, so can’t compare it directly, but it is likely to be more aggressive than yours on setting 1 (but I could be wrong - have a Google for the blade gaps as a possible guide).

A Rockwell 6S could be worth looking at. Stainless steel, built like a tank, smooth and with interchangeable base plates so you can set it up perfectly for you and it is then like any non adjustable razor.

I would highly recommend both of the above razors.

3ONE6 is a very comfortable and smooth razor, but it is also efficient. Stainless steel, so should last well. Nicely finished. Some early reports of faulty handles but I’ve not seen anything recently.

I’ve not tried your razor, so can’t compare it directly, but it is likely to be more aggressive than yours on setting 1 (but I could be wrong - have a Google for the blade gaps as a possible guide).

A Rockwell 6S could be worth looking at. Stainless steel, built like a tank, smooth and with interchangeable base plates so you can set it up perfectly for you and it is then like any non adjustable razor.

I would highly recommend both of the above razors.

The Futur is
1 = 1.12, 2 = 1.19, 3 = 1.35, 4 = 1.47, 5 = 1.60, 6 = 1.65 mm
and I believe quite aggressive exposure

Tried it on 3 with Feather blade last night, and pass wise its no more effiecient than on 1, I did WTG,XTG,ATG, top lip no chance had to turn it to 1, as it feels like its about to dig in if you get too much of a unshaved area ATG

The 3one6 is 1.35 blade gap with neutral blade exposure

I started with the Futur and almost gave up DE shaving. Fortunately, I won (well came second) a competition run by Mantic59, a prize being the new to market Mühle R89. That completely changed my DE shaving for the better. My suggestion would be the Mühle R89 or Edwin Jagger version. The Merkur 34 is also very similar, I still regularly use that. I sold the Futur.

I actually get on with the Futur, today I've ordered the Blackbird Ti

Next i need to work out what im shaving with when i go on holiday, as the Blackbirs staying at home lol

Hi,

Im new to DE shaving and just starte 4 weeks ago, so far i only have this merkur, and its been fine no cuts, or irritation. So far i have used the below blades

Derby
First time i used razor settings 3 WTG - 2 XTG - 1 ATG this some times felt like it was digging in, Face fairly smooth, odd little nick
Second shave 3 WTG - 2 XTG - 1 ATG this some times felt like it was digging in, Face smooth
Third shave 5 WTG - 3 XTG - 1 ATG this some times felt like it was digging in but not as much
On all these couldnt really go ATG top on top lip

Astra SP
3 WTG - 2 XTG - 1 ATG, better than above
5 WTG - 5 XTG - 1 ATG again a bit better
Could just manage ATG top lip, if I kept moving accross slightly each pass

Persona Platinums
5 WTG - 5 XTG - 5 XTG (other direction) - 3 ATG - 1 ATG top lip Still hard to do top lip, but a good shave, better than past 2 blades and no cuts

Feathers
1 WTG - 1 XTG - 1 ATG - 1 ATG top lip much easier
By far the best shave yet

So now im looking for a non adjustable and have seen

edwin jagger 3 one 6
muhle rocca

but aslo have a itch for titanium
Blackbird ti
Henson ti22

Just wondered what peoples thought on which to try next,WHat would be comparable to the Futur on 1 setting

thanks
If you have large hands and like a longer handle the Muhle R89 twist is a nice razor.

Back
Top Bottom