merkur futur vs merkur progress

D

Deleted member 12673

hello people so im really curious and intrigued by this one as i've never used both of these de razors,
ive use two clone futur razors which i really like but i know the merkur futur and the merkur progress are very popular within the wet shaving scene

looks wise the futur looks much better, dont like that plastic bottom bit of the merkur progress but i do like that brass mod on the other thread i saw a few days ago

so i was wondering which one do you like better and whats the pros and cons of each razor?

I had my first save today with the Futur and though there’s some blade feel and it’s more aggressive than it’s numerous clones, I think it’s aggressiveness is over emphasised. As advised I stuck to setting 2 today and though I got the impression it was more aggressive than my clone, it was completely smooth and efficient. I took my time and got only one small nick going over a small spot/zit. Other than that it way lovely. I need to try it on a few higher settings, and I’m not saying I couldn’t tell in inexperienced hands, how it would easily slice and dice a newbie but I love it already! By the end of my third pass I was finding the best position to hold it and can’t wait to try it again!
In comparison I just couldn’t get a smooth shave from my Progress, it had too much blade feel for me maybe or I just couldn’t get used to it but it always felt tougher than this even on my first shave.

Merkur Futur starts where the others finish ... or do not come even close.
b242240172da46942d37c30e7e4010b851df58eb.png

I'm quite happy with all the razors I have, including R41s and some other "challenging" models.

Along with the Ikon Tech, the Futur is the one razor that I can't get along with, despite years of trying. I can shave with it, but it's a 100% unpleasant experience.

That said, I'm using my Digress with a thin Gillette Blue blade, and it's a prime example of razor and blade being a very poor match, with excessive blade chatter.

Love my Progress. In my limited experience of other razors, its the one that does everything that i would keep.

I know its different for all, but mine runs at setting 3 for a really close shave, or @ 2.25 for a shave similar to my EJ D892 or @ setting 2 for a shave similar to my Merkur 20c. Setting 1 for a very quick and safe shave similar to a disposable cartridge razor.

Have tried higher settings at 4 and 5 and although its obviously a closer shave, i prefer setting 3 for the balance of closeness and comfort. I use Astra SP blades.

Back
Top Bottom