Merkur Futur vs clone

LeeMaz

Supporter
Supporter
Hi guys. I’m one of those in the minority that found the Merkur Progress too aggressive and have always got on with my Futur clone, (by River Lake). I’ve just bought a nice original now and was wondering what to expect difference wise. The little I’ve heard is the original is better made but more aggressive? Has anyone tried a clone vs the original in this case? I’ll find out soon enough, (plus it’s a razor I can easily swap out as it looks identical to the one my wife originally bought me!) but any advice beforehand would be appreciated.

Eddie Murphy GIF by Coming to America

If I remember correctly, the Futur is supposedly much more aggressive than the Progress.

I've had mine just over 2 years now and it's a thing of beauty, no faffing about unscrewing everything to clean the blade, just flip the cap off!
Anyway, I'd read about them being very aggressive so I started on no.2, no problems so have been using it on no.6 ever since. The only blade I couldn't get on with were Rapira's, have used a Personna tonight and a smooth finish!

As @Boycie83 says, the Futur is an aggressive razor. In fact, I can get along with R41s and pretty nearly any aggressive razors apart from two; Futur and the Ikon Tech.

There's something about the way Futur presents the blade that makes it a rough ride.

Not being funny, but the Progress is a very tameable razor on low settings. If, however, the top cap is the wrong way round, it can produce some unexpected results.

I don’t know what it was but I just couldn’t get to grips with it, it wasn’t bad just never great smooth shaves with the progress. My Model T however was initially a nightmare and aggressive and despite being nicked constantly at the beginning I managed to tame the beast. I never felt out of control just not smooth with it. However the Futur clone is almost as smooth as any razor I’ve tried. I’m hoping the original will be too! I’m guessing though it’s going to be a slightly wilder ride though!

I don’t know what it was but I just couldn’t get to grips with it, it wasn’t bad just never great smooth shaves with the progress. My Model T however was initially a nightmare and aggressive and despite being nicked constantly at the beginning I managed to tame the beast. I never felt out of control just not smooth with it. However the Futur clone is almost as smooth as any razor I’ve tried. I’m hoping the original will be too! I’m guessing though it’s going to be a slightly wilder ride though!
From what you describe, I'd say that your wish for a Black Beauty, when fulfilled, might hit the right adjustable note for you. I haven't got one, but the Pearl adjustable might also be worth a look.

From what you describe, I'd say that your wish for a Black Beauty, when fulfilled, might hit the right adjustable note for you. I haven't got one, but the Pearl adjustable might also be worth a look.
I have the Pearl Flexi and love it. It was my third or fourth razor. It’s a great smooth shave on lower settings but a beast on higher, (I rarely venture past a 3 on it!)
I’ll keep up the hunt for a Black Beauty it seems!

I used a Futur exclusively for 7 + years
I soon found that setting 3 was at the upper limit of my comfort zone
I bought two QShave clones, and both had blade alignment issues that I couldn't rectify
The original is far superior to the clones IMO
The blade is held very rigid, the audible feedback has a tone like no other razor
It's a heavy razor, and any undue pressure will likely end in nicks and cuts
Try settings 1-2 for a few shaves until you get to grips with it

I had my first save today with the Futur and though there’s some blade feel and it’s more aggressive than it’s numerous clones, I think it’s aggressiveness is over emphasised. As advised I stuck to setting 2 today and though I got the impression it was more aggressive than my clone, it was completely smooth and efficient. I took my time and got only one small nick going over a small spot/zit. Other than that it way lovely. I need to try it on a few higher settings, and I’m not saying I couldn’t tell in inexperienced hands, how it would easily slice and dice a newbie but I love it already! By the end of my third pass I was finding the best position to hold it and can’t wait to try it again!
In comparison I just couldn’t get a smooth shave from my Progress, it had too much blade feel for me maybe or I just couldn’t get used to it but it always felt tougher than this even on my first shave.
Also compared to the clone it feels like a different razor, heavier, more assertive and aggressive but smoother at the same time. Almost make a mockery to call the clones, clones when they seem this far apart.

Back
Top Bottom