Merkur Futur...first use..!

After three years of DE shaving I have upped my game and got myself a Merkur Futur and used it for the for the first time today.

I can only say "wow"

Tabac soap and an Astra Superior Stainless blade made up the team.

Having been warned to be careful with this razor, I made sure my prep was on point and had read to not get too excitable with settings.

Set to number 2 it gave me the finest shave from the very first stroke. I have never found shaving so simple and so comfortable.

Absolutely blown away by the result, the ease of use, the quality of the razor and the smart advice that I followed. Highly recommended!

After three years of DE shaving I have upped my game and got myself a Merkur Futur and used it for the for the first time today.

I can only say "wow"

Tabac soap and an Astra Superior Stainless blade made up the team.

Having been warned to be careful with this razor, I made sure my prep was on point and had read to not get too excitable with settings.

Set to number 2 it gave me the finest shave from the very first stroke. I have never found shaving so simple and so comfortable.

Absolutely blown away by the result, the ease of use, the quality of the razor and the smart advice that I followed. Highly recommended!
So this morning I've changed it up.

I used an Arko shaving stick for the first time ever and after watching a geofatboy video on Youtube nailed it first time.

I cannot believe how simple this all could be and actually think this maybe my future.

Shave was quick, comfortable and stress free with a wonderful finish.

Just one question, how many shaves should I use this blade for ? Usually I use them for 5/6 shaves but wondered if the Merkur would alter that

Don't over think it. Each Blade will differ. Go by the feeling of the blade - you'll know if it's on its way out.
Chris is spot on

I generally use Astra SS and (most) DE blades 3 times, beyond that they lose their edge a little (for me at least),some people happily get 10+ shaves from them
They're better than the SP variant for longevity
At around 10 - 15 pence per blade they're cheap enough to replace

Good to hear you are getting on so well with your Futur, it's a good razor and very well made
I like how it holds the blade so rigidly, so no chatter

So I've read a lot of good things about these, but people say the Futur is less suited to those new to DE. I'm not sure if that really means "new to wet shaving" or just DE. Surely if it's adjustable it can be set to mild? Or is it not as simple as that? In spite of my preference for straight razors overall, having recently tried a mild DE, I'm thinking it deserves a space in my rotation and I'm looking to see what sort of thing I should consider. This is probably getting close to a thread hijack so maybe I'll start my own, but the Futur appeals, being well regarded, adjustable, and about as much as I fancy spending, hence my interest in your experience with it compared with the usual 34C/EJ 89L etc

So I've read a lot of good things about these, but people say the Futur is less suited to those new to DE. I'm not sure if that really means "new to wet shaving" or just DE. Surely if it's adjustable it can be set to mild? Or is it not as simple as that? In spite of my preference for straight razors overall, having recently tried a mild DE, I'm thinking it deserves a space in my rotation and I'm looking to see what sort of thing I should consider. This is probably getting close to a thread hijack so maybe I'll start my own, but the Futur appeals, being well regarded, adjustable, and about as much as I fancy spending, hence my interest in your experience with it compared with the usual 34C/EJ 89L etc

Lowest setting on a Futur is still on the aggressive side, max setting is only suitable for skin graft.

I'm also a straight user and find it far easier to cut myself or get irritation with an aggressive DE such as the Futur than any straight. Since the patent expired there has been a cheap (£10 or so) Chinese clone of the Futur known as Q-Shave or Ming-Shi which is identical except slighter lighter and much kinder on the face, setting 5 on the clone is like 1 on the original... Worth a try just to see if you like the design IMO.

I had a go at the Futur clone from Aliexpress, I tried a couple in fact. There was a serious issue with inconsistency of the blade gap on either side on both that I tried, one side aggressive, one side mild. Not very well made IMO. Both ended up in a drawer after a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom