Merkur 45 Bakelite DE Razor First Use & Thoughts (Head Shaving)

D

Deleted member 12673

hey people so i used had my first ever use with the merkur 45 bakelite de razor which i paired with a gillette silver blue which i also used for the very first time

i had 3 days worth of growth an bare i mind i have very thick coarse hair too,
the razor made light work of it, now the razor is very light, nimble and i found it to be a superb efficient shave, honestly i absolutely loved it

my experience with de/se razors is that you have to take shorter strokes,
but with this merkur 45 you can literally take long strokes and theres no blade chatter and dont need to worry about cutting or catching your skin,
i assume it may be due to the way the blade is held in place maybe? i dont know someone correct me if im wrong

where i think this razor excels is ATG and i think it might be due to the blade angle,
i mention the blade angle as a lot of youtubers even commented on it having a bit of a steeper shaving angle
kinda reminded me of a more aggressive, efficent version of the medium henson de razor i got, of course like anything YMMV

anyways i would defo recommend this razor, however im not sure what the availability of it is like

Is this the red bakelite model? I used to use one on trips but found it a bit rough even with several excellent blades. I changed to a cheap Feather razor. I'll root the Merkur out and have another go with it although only use it for face shaving.
Yea the reddish/black colour one,
Surprised you found it rough, I found it smooth, very smooth in fact

here's a pic...

IMG_20211012_170325.jpg

Yes thats the beast I'll give it another gallop and give you a revised opinion.
Yea cool, look forward to hear your thoughts on it

Btw how long you had it and how much did you pay?

I'm wondering what the availability of this razor is like

hey so not been in a right place and been really in the dump mentally so I ready had to push myself to shave today,
if you also suffer from severe depression you'll get what I mean and relate to me,
anyways shaved roughly 15/16 days growth with this merkur 45 bakelite razor with a new feather de blade,
I swear this thing just munched it up lool

I love everything about this razor, think I paid just less then £15 for it but what a razor for the money, love it!

hey so not been in a right place and been really in the dump mentally so I ready had to push myself to shave today,
if you also suffer from severe depression you'll get what I mean and relate to me,
anyways shaved roughly 15/16 days growth with this merkur 45 bakelite razor with a new feather de blade,
I swear this thing just munched it up lool

I love everything about this razor, think I paid just less then £15 for it but what a razor for the money, love it!
You Should try the slants
or the monster series from PAA
Brilliant Razors

You Should try the slants
or the monster series from PAA
Brilliant Razors
Think I've only got two slants, the fatip oc slant and the merkur 39c

If these are the Santa razors you're referring too Mike (link below)

Ive looked at these PAA oc slants a few weeks back and I know they're only like 20 odd quid but Its really confusing as to if there's any difference between them and if it's just a matter of different colours and different names?

Seen your posts about your newly aquired fasan slant razors, those look awesome but pricey, happy for you matey

Think I've only got two slants, the fatip oc slant and the merkur 39c

If these are the Santa razors you're referring too Mike (link below)

Ive looked at these PAA oc slants a few weeks back and I know they're only like 20 odd quid but Its really confusing as to if there's any difference between them and if it's just a matter of different colours and different names?

Seen your posts about your newly aquired fasan slant razors, those look awesome but pricey, happy for you matey
Your 100% Right about the PAA monster series they are all the exact same razors in different colours.
i just like the story behind them, being inspired by the fasan although not a fasan clone by any means.
Still great shavers though & a good razor for your den.
Iv got a theory that one day someone might be looking for the whole set and might just pay handsomely for them lol

Your 100% Right about the PAA monster series they are all the exact same razors in different colours.
i just like the story behind them, being inspired by the fasan although not a fasan clone by any means.
Still great shavers though & a good razor for your den.
Iv got a theory that one day someone might be looking for the whole set and might just pay handsomely for them lol
Ohh okay, think the glow in the dark one is cool but reality is who the hecks going to shave in the dark? Lool

Not sure which one to go for lol

yea tbf I'm sure they'll only increase in price with time

Oh yea forgot to say I also got the iKon slant, way too flippin mild, disappointed or what! At least I'll use the stainless steel handle on other razor heads lool

Ohh okay, think the glow in the dark one is cool but reality is who the hecks going to shave in the dark? Lool

Not sure which one to go for lol

yea tbf I'm sure they'll only increase in price with time

Oh yea forgot to say I also got the iKon slant, way too flippin mild, disappointed or what! At least I'll use the stainless steel handle on other razor heads lool
That surprises me.
iv got the Ikon B1 OSS not a slant but fairly aggressive

That surprises me.
iv got the Ikon B1 OSS not a slant but fairly aggressive
The X3 is quite mild - it’s an aluminium head and slightly more aggressive on one side than the other as indicated by number of scallops on the respective safety bars. Little blade feel but it fairly cleaves through stubble and is jolly efficient.

The B1 slant may well be more aggressive given that the standard B1 is reputedly that way inclined as you’ll know.

I really rather like my X3 on the 80mm iKon Bulldog handle. The heavier handle gives the light aluminium head a nice balance and as I use my vintage Gillettes frequently, I enjoy the handle length too. It’s a braw beastie that flies under the radar but deserves notice. YMMV as always.

Would you like a loan of mine since you’re fond of slants? More than welcome, ya hibby git! :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom