Mental Health Awareness

Hi guys, so I never thought I would be opening up about my mental health. But have been encouraged to do so. I've been suffering from mental health since 2008, at the time I thought I was going insane, so hid it with alcohol. And since 2014 I've been out of my house a total of 9 times. Finally a few months back I plucked up the courage to go see my doctor and was diagnosed with Depression, Anxiety and Agoraphobia. Have been on a couple of medications since then.

In the past two months, I've been sorting a lot of things out and sorted out benefits as I am now diagnosed with mental health. Wouldn't want to be on benefits but since I struggle so much leaving my house, it had to be done. Got my name down on the housing list, hoping for somewhere quieter to live.

All in all, I'm doing much better than I was a few months back. I still have bad days and good days. But those bad days aren't as bad as they used to be.

Anyway, I thought I would share a little about what I've been going through. It's always nice to see men talking about mental health.

Kind regards
Callum
Well done Callum, for being brave and seeking help, hopefully you are now on the right path and things will over time gradually improve for you; onwards and upwards.

So guys, today I managed to pluck up the courage and refer myself for therapy.

It's a big step for me and something I thought I could never do. I've got my appointment for next week. I'm a little nervous, but its a step in the right direction.

I hope everyone is doing alright.
Well done Callum it certainly is a step in the right direction, there's no need to be nervous though, you can do this! :)

Paul.

Hope it works out well for you Callum. Getting started is the biggest hurdle. So me and my best mate it turns out are both currently doing CBT for stress, anxiety and insomnia. If you met my mate you would never think it, he's very competent and confident but anyone can reach their limits. He has a family to support too. His therapy seems much better than the half hour phone call to make sure I'm not in danger followed by a leaflet. What I'm saying is, approaches differ so if you don't find it helpful straight away don't give up, ask for alternative approaches if you can.

Nice one Missoni. I never knew Frisby talked about stuff like that. Yes, life gets in the way but those are quite simple things we forget or get dragged away from by society or just bad habits. I was cramming pretzel snacks into my mouth and thinking about doing some more work whilst he was saying we needed fresh air, unprocessed foods and water. Really do need to be more disciplined about my hours and diet etc. At least shaving is a self care activity!

It's a big step for me and something I thought I could never do. I've got my appointment for next week. I'm a little nervous, but its a step in the right direction.

You'll find your way to a better state of mind, Callum.
We all have different circumstances, so I won't offer advice regarding my coping strategies.
Accepting help is the first step, which in itself is very daunting.

Keep on keeping on

I've been reading your contributions here Callum.

It takes a lot of courage to get things off your chest and be honest about your own condition, and even more so to get some therapy. I've had some myself this year and if you have any uncertainties about it, send me a PM if you want to ask.

Nonetheless, I wish you well for it, and good luck. We're behind you.

Also, you may treat yourself to a shaving purchase as a reward. If anyone asks, tell them Uncle Donnie says it's ok.

Excellent!

I can't add more than what the good chaps above have said. .....
Well don't for taking the first steps.

On a branch to the above.
I've had a wierd few days... Feeling frustrated, tiny little things, like my wife dropping her phone and smashing the screen when there is a perfectly good screen protector for it on top of the fridge just pushes me almost to the edge, I sometimes feel like punching a wall. Not in anger... Just to relieve the tension. However after talking to a good friend and unloading this morning feel I have moved the cloud on a bit and take the next few days as they come. (Add to the pot, my dad had to have an endoscopy and colonoscopy on Sunday.... He's anaemic and they want to check those options)

Excellent!

I can't add more than what the good chaps above have said. .....
Well don't for taking the first steps.

On a branch to the above.
I've had a wierd few days... Feeling frustrated, tiny little things, like my wife dropping her phone and smashing the screen when there is a perfectly good screen protector for it on top of the fridge just pushes me almost to the edge, I sometimes feel like punching a wall. Not in anger... Just to relieve the tension. However after talking to a good friend and unloading this morning feel I have moved the cloud on a bit and take the next few days as they come. (Add to the pot, my dad had to have an endoscopy and colonoscopy on Sunday.... He's anaemic and they want to check those options)

Somedays it's the small things which seem to be the most testing. I'm not entirely sure why that is, but it can be difficult to get out of.

Good to hear the cloud has cleared and good luck to your dad for his medical procedures.

The trouble with the 'small things' is that they carry disproportionately more frustration than the real troubles, then you kick yourself for getting annoyed over something small, which then makes you even more annoyed and so it goes on. You feel you can't talk about the little things because people will say they don't matter. The thing is, they're usually accompanied by a metric tonne of background stress and real pressure or worry, which has used all your resources. You've kept a lid on the big things only to be tipped over the edge by something you'd take in your stride ordinarily. It's the straw that breaks the camel's back. I know only too well, I've been on a hair trigger a few times and then lost it over something 'silly'. Worries unseen are the actual issue, not so much the trigger.

The trouble with the 'small things' is that they carry disproportionately more frustration than the real troubles, then you kick yourself for getting annoyed over something small, which then makes you even more annoyed and so it goes on. You feel you can't talk about the little things because people will say they don't matter. The thing is, they're usually accompanied by a metric tonne of background stress and real pressure or worry, which has used all your resources. You've kept a lid on the big things only to be tipped over the edge by something you'd take in your stride ordinarily. It's the straw that breaks the camel's back. I know only too well, I've been on a hair trigger a few times and then lost it over something 'silly'. Worries unseen are the actual issue, not so much the trigger.
Very true, what
you say, it's not always easy to navigate in a sea of small things!

Paul.

So guys a little update. I managed to get through my first therapy session. I'm proud of myself. Was looking for an excuse not to do it, but I urged myself to get through it.

I won't go into details but it felt good speaking with someone about what's going on. I was told I've got OCD as well which explains a lot of things I do.

Got another appointment for next week to discuss possible ways of helping.

The weird thing is now I feel very worn out.

Callum

So guys a little update. I managed to get through my first therapy session. I'm proud of myself. Was looking for an excuse not to do it, but I urged myself to get through it.

I won't go into details but it felt good speaking with someone about what's going on. I was told I've got OCD as well which explains a lot of things I do.

Got another appointment for next week to discuss possible ways of helping.

The weird thing is now I feel very worn out.

Callum

Congratulations for making it through your first session, it's the most daunting one to get past.

You're not alone in finding it exhausting.

Back
Top Bottom