Mental Health Awareness

Yea been reading about stoicism and philosophy a bit more recently

Some good books out there like everyday stoic
Given the fact it was written down nearly 1900 years ago it remains - in my opinion - fresh and vivid, proving the point that there is really nothing new under the sun in terms of the human experience. It isn't actually called The Meditations - that's modern, Aurelius never intended it to be published so didn't give it a title. How it survived to us is a bit of a mystery - it doesn't definitely resurface in the European mind until the 10th C. For some reason Stoicism - as with the sufi poetry of Rumi - has been taken up by West Coast New Age types. I'm sure this would have amused and baffled Aurelius in equal measure.

I remember that you had a go with meditation and it didn't work out well for you? It's something I rely on every day to keep me on an even keel - I have a very good ebook I could pass on that is an excellent beginner's (and further) guide if you wanted? Let me know - pax - I.

Given the fact it was written down nearly 1900 years ago it remains - in my opinion - fresh and vivid, proving the point that there is really nothing new under the sun in terms of the human experience. It isn't actually called The Meditations - that's modern, Aurelius never intended it to be published so didn't give it a title. How it survived to us is a bit of a mystery - it doesn't definitely resurface in the European mind until the 10th C. For some reason Stoicism - as with the sufi poetry of Rumi - has been taken up by West Coast New Age types. I'm sure this would have amused and baffled Aurelius in equal measure.

I remember that you had a go with meditation and it didn't work out well for you? It's something I rely on every day to keep me on an even keel - I have a very good ebook I could pass on that is an excellent beginner's (and further) guide if you wanted? Let me know - pax - I.
Yea I've actually noticed stoicism seems to be on the rise and trending recently from what I gather, well that's the vibe I get

I've watched bits of that author ryan holiday on podcasts on youtube, he's the author of everyday stoic and few more books not sure if you've heard of him?

I have been trying meditation and mindfulness here and there, don't know if I'm doing it right or wrong tbh but I did go to a meditation day course at a local buddhist center and I don't know what to think as I have mixed emotions about the experience I had during the meditations there and it wasn't anything religious as such I suppose it's more of a philosophy tbf

What's the ebook called? What format is it? pdf, mobi etc

Yea I've actually noticed stoicism seems to be on the rise and trending recently from what I gather, well that's the vibe I get

I've watched bits of that author ryan holiday on podcasts on youtube, he's the author of everyday stoic and few more books not sure if you've heard of him?

I have been trying meditation and mindfulness here and there, don't know if I'm doing it right or wrong tbh but I did go to a meditation day course at a local buddhist center and I don't know what to think as I have mixed emotions about the experience I had during the meditations there and it wasn't anything religious as such I suppose it's more of a philosophy tbf

I don't think there is anything religious about meditation in some of it's forms, but it could be if you wanted it to be.

I've been meditating for a while now, well over 10 years now. The place I used to go to did two types, breathing and walking meditation. Breathing meditation, simple enough in theory, clear your mind and focus on your in and out breaths, walking meditation, free your head of thinking and focus on your steps with each foot.

I see meditation more as an exercise practise for the brain.

Hi guys, so I never thought I would be opening up about my mental health. But have been encouraged to do so. I've been suffering from mental health since 2008, at the time I thought I was going insane, so hid it with alcohol. And since 2014 I've been out of my house a total of 9 times. Finally a few months back I plucked up the courage to go see my doctor and was diagnosed with Depression, Anxiety and Agoraphobia. Have been on a couple of medications since then.

In the past two months, I've been sorting a lot of things out and sorted out benefits as I am now diagnosed with mental health. Wouldn't want to be on benefits but since I struggle so much leaving my house, it had to be done. Got my name down on the housing list, hoping for somewhere quieter to live.

All in all, I'm doing much better than I was a few months back. I still have bad days and good days. But those bad days aren't as bad as they used to be.

Anyway, I thought I would share a little about what I've been going through. It's always nice to see men talking about mental health.

Kind regards
Callum

It's called The Mind Illuminated by John Yates. EPub format in a zip file. He's an odd fish in the respect that he is a proper neuro-scientist and a practicing Buddhist. There is not that much 'religious' content until much further in and it's optional. I'd agree with @donnie_arko - meditation has zero spiritual content for me - it is about mental discipline and having a baseline for my mental health. I use breath awareness mindfulness and walking meditation. Sitting down every day isn't that different to the shaving ritual for me - time apart. cheers - I.

Hi guys, so I never thought I would be opening up about my mental health. But have been encouraged to do so. I've been suffering from mental health since 2008, at the time I thought I was going insane, so hid it with alcohol. And since 2014 I've been out of my house a total of 9 times. Finally a few months back I plucked up the courage to go see my doctor and was diagnosed with Depression, Anxiety and Agoraphobia. Have been on a couple of medications since then.

In the past two months, I've been sorting a lot of things out and sorted out benefits as I am now diagnosed with mental health. Wouldn't want to be on benefits but since I struggle so much leaving my house, it had to be done. Got my name down on the housing list, hoping for somewhere quieter to live.

All in all, I'm doing much better than I was a few months back. I still have bad days and good days. But those bad days aren't as bad as they used to be.

Anyway, I thought I would share a little about what I've been going through. It's always nice to see men talking about mental health.

Kind regards
Callum
It sounds like you've been through it but I'm pleased you had the courage to see your doctor and have started to get things sorted.
You don't have to struggle alone Callum, we are a motley crew but always here to listen.
Stay safe.

Paul.

It's always nice to see men talking about mental health.
I'd absolutely agree - a distinct advantage we have over our fathers' generation. Voicing is important. After years of suffering I was diagnosed as bipolar earlier this year and still coming to terms with it but I am a whole lot better just for the knowledge. Yours - I.

I don't think there is anything religious about meditation in some of it's forms, but it could be if you wanted it to be.

I've been meditating for a while now, well over 10 years now. The place I used to go to did two types, breathing and walking meditation. Breathing meditation, simple enough in theory, clear your mind and focus on your in and out breaths, walking meditation, free your head of thinking and focus on your steps with each foot.

I see meditation more as an exercise practise for the brain.
Yea like the woman told me at the Buddhist centre that Buddhism is the religion of no religion

So you've been practicing it for a long time, does it get easier with time?

I find it hard to calm my mind/thoughts as it's always going a million miles an hour

Kind regards
Callum
Glad you got help

Some mental health teams are good and genuine but some are totally rubbish and a waste of time

So you've been practicing it for a long time, does it get easier with time?
Not that long seriously - a couple of years - it really does require practice, but yes - it does get easier. It needs to become a 'normal' activity. It sounds like simplicity itself to sit down and focus on your breathing but it ain't. As you know. I have a nice space in my flat that I use, peaceful and calm. I use a meditation cushion for comfort, burn incense and sit on a lovely carpet - which is actually a sajjādat aṣ-ṣalāt. - I.

It's called The Mind Illuminated by John Yates. EPub format in a zip file. He's an odd fish in the respect that he is a proper neuro-scientist and a practicing Buddhist. There is not that much 'religious' content until much further in and it's optional. I'd agree with @donnie_arko - meditation has zero spiritual content for me - it is about mental discipline and having a baseline for my mental health. I use breath awareness mindfulness and walking meditation. Sitting down every day isn't that different to the shaving ritual for me - time apart. cheers - I.
Cool, found it from a quick Google search so will pop it onto my kindle, looks interesting

You mentioned rumi, I didn't know until recently that apparently he's the most popular poet in america and even beyonce named her daughter rumi after him too lol

Btw I have listened to some talks by ajahn brahm from australia on YouTube you heard of him?

Not that long seriously - a couple of years - it really does require practice, but yes - it does get easier. It needs to become a 'normal' activity. It sounds like simplicity itself to sit down and focus on your breathing but it ain't. As you know. I have a nice space in my flat that I use, peaceful and calm. I use a meditation cushion for comfort, burn incense and sit on a lovely carpet - which is actually a sajjādat aṣ-ṣalāt. - I.
Ohh you mean like an Islamic prayer mat?
Do you use prayer beads at all? I think the Buddhist call them mala beads which is essentially the same thing I think

I do like to light bakhoor (Arabic incense)

Ohh you mean like an Islamic prayer mat?
Do you use prayer beads at all? I think the Buddhist call them mala beads which is essentially the same thing I think

I do like to light bakhoor (Arabic incense)
That's exactly what I mean - it's a prayer rug. It's a beautiful thing. I do use mala beads - for a few reasons - mostly it gives my hands something to hold. Also they are special to me as I bought them in Ladakh in Indian Kashmir - they connect me to a very happy time and place. I see no reason you couldn't use subḥah. I have a meditation timer on my phone and normally have some suitable background sounds on the go - Tibetan singing bowls or rain and storm noises, that sort of thing. - I.

That's exactly what I mean - it's a prayer rug. It's a beautiful thing. I do use mala beads - for a few reasons - mostly it gives my hands something to hold. Also they are special to me as I bought them in Ladakh in Indian Kashmir - they connect me to a very happy time and place. I see no reason you couldn't use subḥah. I have a meditation timer on my phone and normally have some suitable background sounds on the go - Tibetan singing bowls or rain and storm noises, that sort of thing. - I.
How do you find sounds when you're meditating or you prefer the silence?

I do like listening to white noise in the background

Yea I suppose these beads can act like those fidget spinners sort of thing

I do like the variety of materials and colours the beads come in

How do you find sounds when you're meditating or you prefer the silence?
I prefer some noise - ideally heavy rain falling on the roof above me or something suitable on Spotify on a loop that will twitter away to itself for ages. Sometimes I will shift from my breathing to whatever is playing as the focus of my meditation. This is accepted and allowed practice - I.

Back
Top Bottom