Masala Chai ... Mmmm!

I've been really enjoying Chris Lewis & Max McFarlin's YouTube channel showing their jaunt around Pakistan and it put me in mind to drink Masala Chai again.

Milk, Assam tea, cardamon, cinnamon, ginger, peppercorns and honey. I'm going to get some root turmeric from our Farm Shop this week. That'll be perfect!

Presenting Shining Wala Number One Masala Chai ...

IMG_2359.jpg

A man after my own heart! I love masala chai. Cheers for posting your recipe, I've been short cutting it, boiling tea with milk and adding pre-packed mixed tea spices, which gets me close to 'restaurant quality' (ie not that great, but familiar). I know it would be so much nicer to really do it properly. I actually have all that stuff in the cupboard, well except the turmeric is ground, so probably best left out, or just a tiny amount maybe.

Yeah, dry turmeric is absolutely nothing like root turmeric ... but ... you can gently fry the powdered turmeric off in butter beforehand, then add the milk and simmer the other spices. I just left it out 'til I can get some of the root. Root ginger is a lot easier to come by, with most supermarkets carrying it.

I've been really enjoying Chris Lewis & Max McFarlin's YouTube channel showing their jaunt around Pakistan and it put me in mind to drink Masala Chai again.

Milk, Assam tea, cardamon, cinnamon, ginger, peppercorns and honey. I'm going to get some root turmeric from our Farm Shop this week. That'll be perfect!

Presenting Shining Wala Number One Masala Chai ...

View attachment 86992

I bet that was great.

Remember to wear gloves when handling the fresh turmeric, otherwise they will stained yellow for weeks!

I should give it a go sometime. I've been enjoying making my own blends from the Kent and Sussex Tea seller you recommended.

This is my current favourite, mixes beautifully with Darjeeling and China Black Tea.

I bet that was great.

Remember to wear gloves when handling the fresh turmeric, otherwise they will stained yellow for weeks!

I should give it a go sometime. I've been enjoying making my own blends from the Kent and Sussex Tea seller you recommended.

This is my current favourite, mixes beautifully with Darjeeling and China Black Tea.
Sure was! Same again tomorrow, I reckon ...

Good, good! Yeah, with the root turmeric I tend to leave the skin on and skin on and slice a bit off the end, give it a quick crush and chuck it in ... same with ginger, no need to skin for infusing in chai.

Last edited:
love it!

love all the different chais

@pjgh you tried golden milk? as you mentioned turmeric thought you might have

love having that when im ill, really does help when you got like a cold/flu etc

I bet that was great.

yea turmeric is a good tooth whitener too,
just make sure you use a cheapy toothbrush as it will turn yellow! lool

Had on a minute. You mean to say that turmeric, that thing thats yellower than an egg yolk running away from a fight, stainer of jeans and discolourer of many a china plate, is good for making teeth *whiter*?! I have visions of indelibly stained yellow teeth haha!

It is a thing: https://www.healthline.com/health/turmeric-teeth-whitening#benefits

There are many toothpastes now with turmeric in there, curcumin too. Coocnut oil based. I went through a phase of striving for real purity in every area and for maybe a couple of years brushed my teeth daily with organic coconut oil (occasionally a dip in soda bicarb) and a wet toothbrush dipped in turmeric powder once a week. Oral health was excellent as coconut oil is a natural anti-bacterial and it also helps replenish tooth enamel. My annual checkup with the Dentist was little more than a quick skim around my mouth, pat on the head ("Good boy!" ... she's like a mini-Ruby Wax, my Dentist) and see you in a year.

Had on a minute. You mean to say that turmeric, that thing thats yellower than an egg yolk running away from a fight, stainer of jeans and discolourer of many a china plate, is good for making teeth *whiter*?! I have visions of indelibly stained yellow teeth haha!

yea no joke check it out online

I have thought about making my own masala chai, but have generally stuck to premixed cartons. However, last weekend I ordered a masala chai from the Hebden Tea shop. It was very strong, and needed a bit of syrup and sugar to get it to the desired taste.

Back
Top Bottom