Manchester United

Born in the Portsmouth area I was christened a Pompey fan when I went to my first match in the 1949 Championship winning season. But in the 50s I also fell in love with Man U, devastated after the Munich crash, I've followed them along with Pompey ever since.

What a fantastic legacy is being created by Fergie. Yet again he has put together an exciting team who seem to be getting better and better. Why why oh why do they still seem to attract so much negativity? I just love their style of play. They are creative, take risks, and don't try like Barcelona and Arsenal to pass the ball into the net. Barca remain the better team but I'd rather watch Man U any day.

But although Man U are 3-0 up at half time, I'm not ruling out Chelsea yet.

Albeit a supporter on the losing side, I think Ferguson will be the one walking away from this one with food for thought. Whereas AvB knows exactly what he has to do this season for next. Which has already been stated by him above and gives him the time to build the new Chelsea team. Great game though, apart from the goal shy twat up front.

I admire Fergie for what he has done & what he does. However, coming from T' Yorkshire & having supported Leeds Utd for over forty years, i have no feeling for the club.

We play Man u on tuesday night in the cup. It will be televised here at 03:00 Wed morning & i will be glued to it, even though the probability of losing is fairly high LOL.

Arguably the Munich air disaster was the beginning and cemented United's team and following into folklore for generations to come. You've been around long enough Peter, they played like dray's last season and still won, enjoy this phase while it lasts.

Why the negativity? I'll try to answer that for you Peter... There's lots of reasons to dislike United, but perhaps the biggest is the approach of some of their fans, manager, and even some ex players when it comes to slating other clubs and upholding various myths, they can be very much the underhand spin machine at times. They're usually the first club to criticise other teams over various issues where they're on shaky ground to start with, I'll give a few examples:

1) Cantona recently criticised City and Chelsea, stating that United build up a squad from the youth programme whereas teams like City and Chelsea merely buy the best players. It's patent rubbish as both blue clubs have strong youth programmes (City's academy beat Barca's academy last week). United's youth set up is excellent, but with the hype from Cantona et al, you'd think 5 of any starting 11 were United youth projects when it's nearer 1 or 2 depending on selection.
2) You'd think that with this youth squad myth that United have never spent a penny. United's starting 11 against Tottenham cost 4 million pounds more than City's starting 11 in the same fixture. Again, the Old Trafford myth machine swings into action.
3) They're massively in debt yet (again) criticise other clubs for spending too much money.
4) The public press manipulation. Ferguson's BBC ban, the Chilean miners visit, Ferguson criticising the FA and referees at every chance he gets (which ensures he gets treated with kid gloves)... more spin than a labour Government. I see Dalglish is trying the latter tactic now as well.
Speaking of spin, United fans were recently very vocal about City not selling out their first Champions League fixture last week, when in fact City very nearly sold out, the 1000 or so empty seats were made up of Napoli and UEFA's allocation that were not taken up. United by the way had embarrassingly low Champions League attendances for their first year in the competition, but their fans are somehow in a position to criticise. (35,000 for United V Honved in 1993 when the Old Trafford capacity was 45,000). The PR machine rolls on.

As I say Peter, there are lots of reasons why not everyone shares your love of United, hopefully that gives you a snapshot of a couple off the top of my head.

I'll balance this by saying that Ferguson IS a master tactician and United are an extremely good footballing side that seem to have a certain aura about them that is hard to take down, so whereas I admittedly hate the club with a passion, I respect the current team and the manager.

Nothing like a bit of inter city rivalry to get under your skin and distort any truths is there? It's all the same, ex players, fans and press with selective memories spouting tosh and then getting it all whiped up into a maelstrom and feeding the hype.

Hernandez and his father are national heros in Mexico, why the gripe about the visit? Sure, good PR for United but a chance in a lifetime for the miners, surely as a bitter blue you can't begrudge them that?

Canuck said:
Why the negativity? I'll try to answer that for you Peter... There's lots of reasons to dislike United, but perhaps the biggest is the approach of some of their fans, manager, and even some ex players when it comes to slating other clubs and upholding various myths, they can be very much the underhand spin machine at times. They're usually the first club to criticise other teams over various issues where they're on shaky ground to start with, I'll give a few examples:

1) Cantona recently criticised City and Chelsea, stating that United build up a squad from the youth programme whereas teams like City and Chelsea merely buy the best players. It's patent rubbish as both blue clubs have strong youth programmes (City's academy beat Barca's academy last week). United's youth set up is excellent, but with the hype from Cantona et al, you'd think 5 of any starting 11 were United youth projects when it's nearer 1 or 2 depending on selection.
2) You'd think that with this youth squad myth that United have never spent a penny. United's starting 11 against Tottenham cost 4 million pounds more than City's starting 11 in the same fixture. Again, the Old Trafford myth machine swings into action.
3) They're massively in debt yet (again) criticise other clubs for spending too much money.
4) The public press manipulation. Ferguson's BBC ban, the Chilean miners visit, Ferguson criticising the FA and referees at every chance he gets (which ensures he gets treated with kid gloves)... more spin than a labour Government. I see Dalglish is trying the latter tactic now as well.
Speaking of spin, United fans were recently very vocal about City not selling out their first Champions League fixture last week, when in fact City very nearly sold out, the 1000 or so empty seats were made up of Napoli and UEFA's allocation that were not taken up. United by the way had embarrassingly low Champions League attendances for their first year in the competition, but their fans are somehow in a position to criticise. (35,000 for United V Honved in 1993 when the Old Trafford capacity was 45,000). The PR machine rolls on.

As I say Peter, there are lots of reasons why not everyone shares your love of United, hopefully that gives you a snapshot of a couple off the top of my head.

I'll balance this by saying that Ferguson IS a master tactician and United are an extremely good footballing side that seem to have a certain aura about them that is hard to take down, so whereas I admittedly hate the club with a passion, I respect the current team and the manager.

I understand some of these things. I'm one of the minority of sports fans who focus entirely on performance and results and disregard all the surrounding issues. So I follow and admire many teams and characters who from time to time are out of favour in popular opinion. I always like to follow the "greats" - those that go on winning time and again. Odd for a Pompey fan! That's a childhood love affair that goes on and on.

antdad said:
Hernandez and his father are national heros in Mexico, why the gripe about the visit? Sure, good PR for United but a chance in a lifetime for the miners, surely as a bitter blue you can't begrudge them that?

They were miners from Chile, Hernandez is from Mexico. 5000 miles is too much for me to allow as a "bit between friends", it's the same distance from London to Rwanda. That's like a United fan's understanding of Geography! :icon_lol:

Seriously mate, I don't begrudge the miners their visit, I hope they enjoyed it, (in fact I'm sure they did) but United teed that one up as they saw a good PR opportunity. Not because they're a nice club, or anything to do with Mexico.

I probably am a little bitter (indeed United fans know city fans as "the bitters"), but 35 years without trophies while your neighbour wins everything will do that to any supporter.
Of course United could have acted with a tiny bit of grace in the last 35 years, maybe allowing city fans at least a bit of dignity during relegation seasons, long cold, days down in the 3rd tier of football, a grudging nod to fellow Mancunians, but no. What did they do? That stupid banner counting how many years without a trophy. This is how people get bitter and that's the United mind set for you.

Do'h...I've been to Mexico City too. Tbh I didn't follow the miners story...either dead or alive so not sure what the fuss was all about.
Okay get your knickers in a twist, apparently it was a Chilean wine company that sponsors Utd that arranged that little excursion for the miners.

Look, you lot are in a remarkable position, almost unprecidented because you don't need to rattle any tins ever. Chelski were in the same situation for a while but even Romans billions are only in the single figures whereas you can and will be able to buy much silverware in the next few years. Fact.

I don't resent City that at all, just enjoy the ride and when you do eventually win the EPL you'll hardly notice what the other side is doing.

Back
Top Bottom