Making a razor rust-proof

Bit of an odd question, but what the hell...

I have a razor from a travel set that I got cheap off the 'bay. It looks a lot like a Gillette Tech (a ball end one) except that there is no logo or code anywhere, just "Germany" on the back. I assume that it may be a cheap imitation, but don't know.
Anyway, I like it and have used it exclusively since just before xmas as I was away from home, but noticed that it rusted quite badly after my first shave with it.
There was rust around the handle hole, a little rust on the middle piece (it's a 3 piece razor) and a lot of rust around the pieces that hold the blade in place.
I now thoroughly dry it after each shave, which I don't have to do with any other razors.

Would it be possible to (if not financially worth) getting it sprayed with something to keep it from rusting? Would this mean (re)plating it or is there another cheaper alternative?
I pictured some magic chemical I could pour into a bowl and immerse it in

a Blade buffer can keep em rust roof... :mrgreen:
But as far as a chemical spray on it... imagine having that also go into your skin pores..then to your blood stream it goes...sorry for the visual

B

I'm not sure I'd bother but if the part is steel and it is rust, remove what you can and then use a rust treatment product like Jenolite.

Blades said:
a Blade buffer can keep em rust roof... :mrgreen:
But as far as a chemical spray on it... imagine having that also go into your skin pores..then to your blood stream it goes...sorry for the visual

B
No Blades that is not rust proofing that is removing rust after it has formed.
I think you will find the question from NotTheStig was could he rust proof his razor well NotTheStig you could try a product called ACF-50 not sure if any reaction on skin but worth a try. It can be purchased from any Hein Garick, Amazon and Ebay no doubt, use it on my Motorcycle. Google ACF 50 will give you details, developed for use in the aircraft on air craft carriers I believe. If not suitable for you're razor NotTheStig still a fantastic product so you could still make use of it.
Alternatively follow Antad's advice.
Hope that is a help to you.
Pete.

Back
Top Bottom