Make Time

Evening All,

Today I decided to pack up all my shaving gear and get it on the BST...not because I didn't want it anymore, simply because due to work, family and whatever else is going on in the world at the minute, I just couldn't get any use out of the items.

With over 2 weeks of growth and no real desire to do anything about it I thought if I'm going to sell it all I may as well go for 1 last spin and back to where it all began...Merkur 34c, Gillette SB, Arko followed by a splash of Pinaud Clubman.

Was it the best shave I've ever had? Not even close but it reminded me something. This world isn't gonna slow down for any of us. No matter what's going on in our lives it's still important to look after number1. You only get one shot at this after all.

While I don't get on here much anymore I'll make the time for a shave when possible and the shaving Den thankfully remains intact for a little while longer.

So remember men, Make Time!

DC

I definitely don't get time to myself to do half the things I want to, and the world in general is way too hectic. An evening or Sat am shave with my SR is a bit of a calm ritual that's all mine.

WIGIG applies when you let all your kit go. Glad you stopped short of flogging all your shave gear, even a minimum setup means you can grab a half hour to yourself and that half hour will easily disappear if you don't take it to shave with.

Couldn’t agree with this more. The shave is genuinely the only time I get to myself, and by that I don’t just mean without the wife and kids, I mean everything is shut off, including phone and email. Over the years I’ve come to realise it’s my release, and I think it genuinely helps with my mental health, something in the past I wouldn’t have understood.

Last night was a long old one at work, and fortunately my last day before a week off. I came in knackered after a stressful evening where things didn't quite go to plan. Straight in to bed and some rest. Got up in the afternoon and thought 'me time'

It may not have been the best shave in the world but I felt tremendous. It did what I wanted to it achieve.

I am somewhat fortunate as my wife knows exactly what a lift a bit of 'me time' gives and everyone else as a consequence.

You are so correct @Dcshaves making time is so important. Time, the most precious commodity. Use it, make it work, enjoy it.

Last edited:
I agree. To all the above.

I never really thought of it as therapy. But in a way that's what it is. I generally feel a lot better and content when I spend a good 20 mins, with some Classical music or the like, in the background, just enjoying a shave. Rather than rushing about like a mad man.
So people have therapy Dogs, Cats, other animals. Do I have a therapy Razor :unsure:?
But seriously, it's true. I look forward to being able to be on my own, shut out the world, and just rest my brain for a bit. (That's why I enjoy Cycling too. But that's a different) subject.

Same here - this small ritual is really important to me, let’s me calm down and concentrate on something simple but also satisfying due to seeing and feeling results so quickly.
for me besides shaving - it’s practicing jiu-jitsu. Similar state but more of raw energy in there - you only think of your own movement and opponents. In past it also used to be motorbikes - you and the road. All of that just feels great as a breakout from everyday chase and just letting the head settle.

Thoroughly agree with the comments above. It really has become a ritual now , instead of the chore it was with the cartridge. The shave is better , skin feels so much better, irritation around the neck is clearing up, the whole thing is a lot more comfortable. I love the process of shaving all the steps. I've organised my draw in the bathroom, pre shave , soaps , creams and shave, and post shave. It's great I love it, thanks to everyone for the encouragement and help!

Back
Top Bottom