Made in the United Kingdom

I think one has to be careful to differentiate between "Made" and "Finished" or even "Assembled"

Manufacturers pull all sorts of stunts to get the donkey work done in some cheap foreign sweat shop and then import and finish it off at home, so they can say "Made in XXXX"

The Americans used to be very bad for this, with their proud "Made in the USA" and i believe legislation now forces them to say "Assembled in " or "Finished in the USA"

Anything 100% British is likely to be very expensive for what it is by comparison, although Brexit / COVID is probobly likely to level that up

...The Americans used to be very bad for this, with their proud "Made in the USA" and i believe legislation now forces them to say "Assembled in " or "Finished in the USA"...

It's complicated to say the least:

Hiut jeans
NPS shoes

Probably about the best I can do as I think the Geeves shirts I wear are probably Turkey.

You can throw in Hebtroco and Empire jeans for casual wear. Both exceptional on the quality. Couldn't recommend the Hebtroco canvas jeans highly enough. Look great either scruffy or that dressed look.

I have now managed to get most of my clothing to be made in the UK. I have reversed 25 years of off shoring.
My knitwear is Pringle, John Smedley, Hawick and Houghton. My shirts are Smyth and Gibson, Grosvenor and Cleeve of London. My shoes are Loake 1880, Barker Handcrafted and Joseph Cheaney. My boxers are from British Boxers, my pj's are mostly Bonsoir. Just need to get my cords and chinos from Cordings or the various Yorkshire factories, and some Sunspel or Smedley t-shirts.

The ready to wear shirtmakers in the UK are:

Smyth and Gibson
Turnbull and Asser
Emma Willis
Budd/Webster Brothers
Cleave of London/Drakes
Margaret Howell
Whitehart
Paul Brown
My favourite shirts are made in Great Yarmouth by Yarmo, as are the "slops" I wore when in the fishing industry, and the workman's trousers, which alas! now have a zip fly and not buttons, as once they did. I buy hats and caps from London hatters, English boots and shoes, including UK-made DMs, knitwear machine-made in Leicester and hand-knitted in Yorkshire, leather goods from Aero in Scotland, Eastman and others in England. Plus a few bits and pieces from UK sources.

I like American-made clothes, and buy the occasional shirt from Rockmount (but not the ones made in India), Red Wing boots, and I have two A2 jackets from Good Wear Leather. As with razors and shaving requisites, the cost of such things is quite high, with tax and duties, but I like stuff that wears, and wears, and can be repaired.

As noted previously, a lot of clothing supposedly made domestically, or with a domestic reputation, turns out to be made or put together abroad, and the makers are rather shy of saying exactly where. Wanting to support the products of my home country, such as they now are, doesn't mean that everything from abroad is junk, and vice versa, and I've had one or two good things made in China. That said, they don't give me the little frisson of pleasure that the purchase of something Made in Britain does.

I buy and wear mostly polo shirts, which I buy predominantly from Next, George at ASDA or Matalan. Not really sure where they're made, though. I don't make a habit of going around in shops looking at labels, just to see where their stock comes from. I doubt very much whether it would influence my purchasing decisions, anyway.

A true story that is wrong on so many levels.

When my daughter was eight she was having a friend round for the day, her parents had moved here from Hong Kong.
Mrs de had switched the kettle on with no water in it with expected results. We set off to buy a new kettle and I suggested that we try to buy a British made kettle and said to look for Swan or Morphy Richards, I was trying to get them interested and to give them a job to do.

None of the kettles were made in the Uk, my daughter picked up a kettle, read Made in China, looked to her friend and said, 'same as you', neither of them batted an eyelid.

Kids are still kids when they're 8! Bless her!
I had a Chinese buddy at primary school in the 70s, in a rural part of the country. There was literally him and one black kid in the whole school, nobody ever batted an eyelid as far as I can remember, they were just Kwai Sin and Ezra to us. All the crap starts when they get old enough to be influenced by political shenanigans. Those lads might well have been 'made in England' too. But we're going off topic I fear.

I had two Chinese friends, who were brothers, at school. We bumped into each other years later. They said we're not actually Chinese but Hmong...

Back
Top Bottom