Low energy light bulbs

I bought a new low energy 100w equivalent light bulb for my bedroom from B & Q. It's hopeless. When you turn it on it takes several minutes to produce anything like a half decent glow.

I managed to find a website still (illegally?) selling old style 100w bulbs and bought 20.

Other low energy bulbs I have take a fair time to warm up. I hate the things.

Has anyone found one of these new bulbs that comes anywhere near giving a decent light quickly? If so, can they provide a link for an online purchase?
Here's hoping!

Dear Fido,
It's good to live in a world where everyone is not the same - what a horrific world it would be otherwise.
For example - I love energy saving lightbulbs.
I love the way they gradually warm up when switched on - rather like an oil-lamp.
I love the gentle glow they impart - which then gradually grows in strength until the room is fully illuminated - this is something I appreciate in the mornings when, instead of the room being instantly flooded with brilliant white light (aaargh!) the light levels gradually increase by gentle increments.
Whether this is due to the characteristics of the bulb or one's eyesight adapts I do not know.
These lamps do take a while to reach their full power - try again and see what you think!

Anthony, that is a really nice way of looking at it. The speed of illumination has always got on my nerves rather, but I'll try to see things from your point of view in future. That said I'm sure some of the more expensive bulbs reach full strength pretty quickly these days.

:idea:

Anthony

When you dash into your bedroom and need decent light to find something, there's not much fun in having to wait several minutes for it!

It's a question of finding a product that meets differing needs.

I must admit I got used to it...kept tungsten's in rooms where I wanted quick illumination until I found the right bulbs.

You can get 23W lamps that are nearer the 100w output of your original tungsten's, they come in globe and bulb shaped units so a little easier on the eye. I think I've changed no more than 3 in the decade that I've been using them in my current house.

Thanks Tony

I've found a website where they are offering advice. I've emailed them asking for a specific recommendation for a low energy bulb that will light up quickly and at least match the brightness of the old 100w bulbs. Will post their response.

hunnymonster said:
Pig Cat said:
That said I'm sure some of the more expensive bulbs reach full strength pretty quickly these days.

You're right - I picked up a heap in Germany about 5 or 6 years ago that were instant starters - we even have dimmable ones from the same trip. Still instant starters. The brand on them is megaman I think...

Yup, just looked at our bulbs in the bedroom which were a recent purchase and they are Megaman too. Not perfect but they are way better than our others. They also look like proper light bulbs! :p

I find that the quality of low energy lamps varies quite a lot. Some take an age to actually come on, some appear to need to warm up, but a couple that I have seem to come on at pretty much full out put straight away.

Ian

I've been getting bulb envy...I've tried all of them in my house. This one comes out on top for instant flicker free start and light quality. They are in my hallway and kitchen those places where you need spontaneous light switching. It says in this review that it takes 1 minute to warm up, I did not really find that, it was up to 90% Lm within the first few seconds (light meter). Also depends how cold the room is.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://loz.zelandeth.org/lamps/cf/ge-fle20hlx-t3-827/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://loz.zelandeth.org/lamps/cf/ge-fl ... /index.htm</a><!-- m -->

Megaman, Sylvania/Osram, GE are the one's to look out for generally. I would be wary of 2 for £1 bulb offers.

The first year of My Energy course at Uni involved a brilliant Lecturer to come and give us a talk. This gentleman is 'Mr Lighting'. There is nothing about lighting he doesn't know. Simply put, he's into lighting how we are into shaving.
He had one of these beards, which just demands attention and admiration. I will never forget him.
He does the lighting for big names like Buckingham palace and so on. Anyway, he came in with what I can only describe as 4 massive, industrial 'suitcases'. Each opened out into a type of market stall displaying hundreds of different types of bulbs, or 'lamps' as the pro's call them. All in various shapes and sizes that I have never seen. He had a go at B&Q type stores for stocking rubbish lamps.

He asked my friend to go and stand under a particular light. My friend has pale skin. The light was switched on and my friend instantly looked healthier, and had a subtle but natural-looking glow/tan. The transformation was unreal. Yet, it didn't look like there was a light being shined from above.

He said lamps like these can be used in hospitals so when visitors come and see a patient, they can comment on how well the patient looks and it would keep their spirits high. Sounds crazy, but you had to be there and see it. He talked about different applications for beam angles and all kinds of stuff that I never really thought about.

For example, I remembered him recommending this series of lamp
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/product/list.php?cat=309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/product/list.php?cat=309</a><!-- m -->

The rest of the lecture followed with great interaction and enthusiasm. One of my best-ever lectures.
One of his main points was that we (the students) should go to a proper lighting shop. The likes of B&Q are not going to sell you a top lamp; in the same the way you're not going to pick up a top DE razor at your local supermarket's shaving section.

There are MUCH better energy saving lamps out there, but we have been pushed into buying the most common and cheaply produced one's that you can now pick up for 70p.

I convinced my dad to buy some expensive energy-saving lamps for our living room, on recommendation from my lecturer. They were expensive, but in 4 years not a single one (8 in total) have blown out, and they only takes 20-30s to reach full brightness. The light quality is very good and as close to traditional tungsten bulbs as you can get. The lighting shop we went to, had to order them in.

I read somewhere that companies have wasted millions into the cheaper, common fluorescent lamps and legislation was rushed in to help them sell all their stock.

The lights in the rest of our place need replacing next year and I will be looking at my notes from that lecture when I've saved up to replace them.

As I was saying the other day, this is such a great website.

Thank you so much for the information. I'm well and truly on the case! Rest assured that Fido will be offering a bulb consultancy service when the investigations are complete. When I find the best available they will be fitted everywhere.

The B&Q bulb which sparked off this enquiry has been removed. A brighter future beckons.

Hmmm.

I'm not much of a fan of the fluorescent bulbs. The warm-up time and colour temperature both put me off.

But worst of all there's mercury in them. I don't mind as I take them to the tip and put them in the right container but chavs and idiots will send them stright to landfill.

:(

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/2008/January/07010803.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/ ... 010803.asp</a><!-- m -->

I'm thinking about moving all the big spotlights in church over to LED - mostly so I won't have to go 30 ft up a ladder and change them!

Anyone know of any really good LED bulbs? (Pref. omnidirectional, warm colour temp)

Back
Top Bottom