Loving my coticule

Well I decided to have a play with my new coticule today. Bart over at Coticule.be believes it to be from "La Nouvelle Veine" and as such is a slow stone.

I went for the Unicot method in which you deliberately dull the razor then start the honing without taping the spine but once the bevel is properly set you tape it to create a micro bevel.

Unfortunately being a slow stone forming the bevel was a task that I wasn't winning and I was starting to get rather disappointed that the slurry on my slow stone remained so light indicating that it was removing very little metal.

Eventually I gave up and set the bevel using my King Combo stone 40 half strokes on 1000 with slurry then 20 laps without slurry then 20 laps on the 6000 side with slurry then 20 on just water. I then raised a slurry on the Coti and did about 30 laps on a thick slurry, then taped and did 30 laps on a light slurry then 60ish on just water.

After stropping the HHT seemed OK and I waited to do the shave test until this evening fully expected to have to head back the the hones.

The result - WOW! I've experienced Neils honing skills and my edge was pretty damn close (but not quite as good of course). Clearly the challenge is for me to repeat this result but I was totally gob-smacked by the smooth, sharp result. A bad workman may blame his tools but in this case I reckon the good tools made for a good job!

Well done Nic!

I personally find that a coticule stops just short of what I want - there is not much in it, but it is quantifiable. Depending on the coticule, that is - the softer they are the shorter they fall - for me, at least.

I have a hard la Veinette at the moment and have tested it with all my razors - gives a nice shave, no doubt about that. But it just can't compare with a 16k stone, let alone a 30k or a good japanese natural. Like you have found, unless the stone is very soft and apt to produce a lot of slurry at the least provocation, the much-vaunted bevel-setting capabilities are over-stated, too. And if you have a soft one, you will then want a hard one to get a better finishing edge - so the 'one stone for everything' claims is also a bit hollow.

I'm glad you found a good one right from the start, though! It took me about four stones to get one I was satisfied with. Your results can only get better as you become more acquainted with the stone. After that, lets hope HAD doesn't set in!

All the Best,
Neil

Well as it stands I'm sat here with a pretty broad grin and only part of that is the result of a single malt :mrgreen: I have a distinct feeling that I have lucked out!

I doubt HAD will set in badly, I think that I have a stone which goes nicely beyond the 12,000 mark, I may want to play about with a BBW (don't search that phrase :shock:) but I can't see me needing a Charnley or Escher. Truth be told while I enjoy the King Combo I have a real fondness for natural stones.

I understand about the BBW - it is much under-rated. For knives it is superb and really leaves a clean, shiny-faced almost scratch free bevel edge (providing you have got to bevel edge by means of other stones). With a coticule it is a bit like magic - after you have finished on the yellow, a few strokes on the much lower grit BBW really sharpens the edge. I use a halfway-house technique to get that effect though - I use a small combo slurry stone on its side on the coticule at the final stages - much cheaper.

Did I mention HAD?! :)

Regards,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom