Looking for Feather AS-D2 Double Edged All Stainless Safety Razor, (Used)

I think the Rockwell 6S should be a strong candidate for consideration if you've settled on a stainless steel razor.
Its adjustable by changing the base-plates and considerably cheaper than the Feather. You could probably just about buy a brand new 6S for the price of a used Feather AS-D2.
The Rockwell 6S provides much more versatility and better value for money IMO.
You have 3 base-plates which provide 6 different options / settings for how aggressive you want the shave to be. I suspect setting 1 or 2 would be compatible or close to the aggression level of the Feather AS-D2.
The 6S is a great razor for many people ( myself included ). Having the ability to adjust the aggressiveness will also let you understand first hand exactly how each setting differs and how it affects each shave as you adjust the razor from settings 1 – 6.
You’ll quickly establish which plates / settings work best for you.

Its just an option for you to consider.

The Rockwell 6S is an excellent setup at a competitive price.

There are several quality stainless razors from makers like RazoRock, in all sorts of variations - open and closed combs, aggressive, mild and so on. All are rather less expensive than the Feather.

As @Radar has said, a Rockwell gives you the chance to try different settings. As you've been DE shaving for 4 months, you may have formed an idea of what you need based upon, among many other factors, frequency of shaving (i.e. do you often want to clear a few days stubble, or shave daily), toughness of whiskers and so forth.

What razor(s) are you using at the moment?

Firstly i would say
don’t worry about bbs
some people never achieve this and some do.
I Have both the feather & the 6s as advised above and both wonderful razors.
Is the feather worth £100 more than the 6s is debatable and basically down to budget.
The feather is stainless & machine turned where the 6s is made in a mould & that’s probably where the price difference is.
It’s Not rellly the Razor that will give you a bbs but more on technique.
I was shaving for a number of months before i was really getting it right.
Saying that i was swapping from razor to razor on just about every shave so that didn’t help.
What Razor / Blade combo do you actually use at the moment ?

Don’t rush in to a purchase because your looking for a bbs, you might be disappointed

The AS-D2 required the longest learning curve of any of my DE's, in terms of achieving a consistently close shave. It requires discipline and muscle-memory to maintain the cutting angle, as the effective cuttting angle is almost like an on/off switch. Once mastered, it is a superb, close, smooth, gentle shaver. A very precise instrument that requires precision to use effectively. You will see lots of archived sales on forum BST's from members who could not get on with the razor, so be aware, it is not for everyone. That said, go for the AS-D2 if you think it will suit your character; you will not find a better built razor and the balance point and weight are spooky in that it feels much lighter in the hand than it actually is. Its country of origin shouts at you from the meticulous tolerances, finishing, quality and hand laquered box. No other DE manufacturer, AFAIK chromes stainless steel. It is a unique razor and worth purchasing and learning, if you have the patience. If you do purchase and find you can not get a close shave and want to throw the ASD2 at the wall or sell it, don't, put it away for a few months and come back to it.

Below...a great review of the ASD2 by "Thomas from Denmark" many years ago, but still relevant...

Last edited:
@Missoni perfectly describes the most likely experience with the AS-D2. I had it too and this could not be further from the truth. I ended up throw it at the wall (not really as it was to expensive to do that). An absolutely exquisite razor with flawless build quality but way too mild for me with a very narrow efficient cutting angle. One thing you'll learn in this game if not already, is that the only opinion that matters is yours. If funds are not a barrier go ahead and buy it and come back and tell us what you think.
Good luck at finding one at a decent price!

Guard your hoard and just buy a used Gillette Tech off the BST here or Ebay which the Feather you so desire is a mere copy of.

LBXROBT.jpg

The Rockwell 6S is an excellent setup at a competitive price.

There are several quality stainless razors from makers like RazoRock, in all sorts of variations - open and closed combs, aggressive, mild and so on. All are rather less expensive than the Feather.

As @Radar has said, a Rockwell gives you the chance to try different settings. As you've been DE shaving for 4 months, you may have formed an idea of what you need based upon, among many other factors, frequency of shaving (i.e. do you often want to clear a few days stubble, or shave daily), toughness of whiskers and so forth.

What razor(s) are you using at the moment?
Hi, at present I use a Fatboy, find that the best so far, gillette black beauty, so far my second best a gillette 51 tec,my birth year and a edwin jagger kelvin a nice razor this one.
It is just a thing that I wanta stainless one that will last forever that I am happy with. The 6S has some great reviews.

Hi, at present I use a Fatboy, find that the best so far, gillette black beauty, so far my second best a gillette 51 tec,my birth year and a edwin jagger kelvin a nice razor this one.
It is just a thing that I wanta stainless one that will last forever that I am happy with. The 6S has some great reviews.

I have a Tech from 1949 In perfect condition, I'm not going to ruin it in my lifetime and it cost nothing compared to a stainless razor.
I wanted stainless razors untill I had a shot at a Tech, Gillette got it spot on when the made it. (y)

Back
Top Bottom