Look what I made, now what is it?

Evening gents,

So I'm holidaying currently and I picked up a bit of wood in a forest near Aix-Les-Bain in France, to make into a walking stick.

However I am not sure what the wood is, it was dry when I found it and had a patina. I want to give this walking stick as a present to a friend, but would like to know the wood type first.

It is an easily workable wood, but seems harder than pine, it is also lighter. This length of wood is very strong despite the splits in it and it flexes very little. However, the most distinctive thing about it is a sweet honey smell. Is anyone able to identify this wood? I have included pictures of the grain, but I only thought to do this after I sanded it, sorry if that makes your life harder.

Just in case anyone is interested in how this was made: I took my pen knife to it, and shaved off the patina that covered it and all the blemishes in the wood, I also neatened up all the knots in the wood. To finish it up I sanded it with very fine sand paper and cut two parallel slots in the top of the stick.

In the slots I anchored a leather shoe lace for a hand loop using reef knots. To make the grip I used a 4 metre length of the same shoe lace to wrap around, I anchored with a half blood knot, wrapped it round and finished with another reef knot. Then I hammered in two pins to stop the grip moving.

Here are the pictures of the grain, sorry if they aren't great, they needed major reductions to fit on here.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Here are a few pictures of me making the walking stick.

picture.php

picture.php

The finished product.

picture.php

picture.php

Any help in IDing the wood would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Dave

Back
Top Bottom