L'Occitane Cade strange puck?

rum

Hi guys,

I got my L'Occitane Cade puck on eBay from an independent retailer (possibly an individual).

The puck arrived wrapped up in the usual clear foil, along with the ingredients list on the back and a L'Occitane price sticker. The "shaving soap" text and l'occitane logo were all on the top of the puck as expected and I'm quite sure the puck was authentic. The puck did not smell of anything. I'm familiar with the Cade scent from other (new) pucks in store - the scent soaks through the packaging! OK, it's not as strong as, say a C&S No. 88 puck, but it's definitely noticeable. After lathering up mine multiple times with different brushes, I still couldn't smell a thing.

So, question is, have I got an old puck? Has anyone else noticed that their Cade shaving soap fades over time?

Also, as a side note, does your puck fit nicely in the original Cade bowl and does it swirl when you lather it? Obviously you won't notice this when you first bought it as it won't have shrunk in size yet...!

L'Occitane's Cade Soap in definitely not the strongest smelling soap out there, but it is strong enough.

As to the fit in the bowl, I found that after the first loading of the brush in the aluminum bowl the puck/cake no longer swirled around, but I deliberately did not rinse off the sludge that was left behind, just wiped the outside of the bowl with a flannel and left it to air dry without the lid on.

Indeed. Mine seemed to work quite well, although I'm not going to judge a soap so soon after picking it up. I know better these days! :D

Aside from L'Occitane's own offering, what balm would you recommend with this soap? I find I get a little bit of itchiness with my usual balms.

What are your usual balms?

I've just PIFed a bottle of Nivea Sensitive Balm as this "prickled" my face when applied, but I have had great results with T&H's 1805 Balm and Trumper's Sandalwood Skin Food. Both not cheap, and as always YMMV.

Have also a small bottle of Castle Forbes' Cedar & Sandalwood After Shave Balm but this is nowhere near as effective as the two mentioned above ;)

I have Roger & Gallet L'Homme ASB. It's not bad stuff at all, but now becoming harder to find in the shops.

I also have Castle Forbes (trialling them currently in the travel sizes). So far I like 1445 and Lavender. I also have the Limes.

I pushed my Cade down hard into the bowl once wet so it doesn't move at all.

It smells the same now as I did when I bought it new 3 months ago, i.e. not much. I can only detect the slightest hint of something that reminds me slightly of coconut... palm oil maybe? It's really mild.

The 1805 balm is wonderful stuff so a third vote from me. If you feel like maybe trying a splash instead then consider L'Occitane's own "Verdon" face splash which I've owned for 2 weeks now, it feels very nice indeed on freshly shaved skin. Only £12 as well. I've done a review in the A/S reviews section.

Canuck said:
The 1805 balm is wonderful stuff so a third vote from me. If you feel like maybe trying a splash instead then consider L'Occitane's own "Verdon" face splash which I've owned for 2 weeks now, it feels very nice indeed on freshly shaved skin. Only £12 as well. I've done a review in the A/S reviews section.

I used to use the 1805 cream a long time ago for performance plus scent. The ASB seems like a good idea, although I am stocked up on balms to last my grand children's life time, let alone my own!

In terms of the Verdon, well as it happens, it's one I've put on my hands in the store and sneaked a sniff here and there. I am not a splash person, but this seems more oily than alcoholic, so it might be one to look at in future. Quite agree though, at £12 it's a bargain.

Back
Top Bottom