Linen & Leather Paddle Strops?

If having a canvas/linen side is so important, why are there only double leather sided paddle strops. The example you've given me @Fergiebilly, is a double leather-sided strop, and I couldn't find your seller @Jack Sales. I'll happily settle for a 2.5 inch strop if I can find the canvas/leather combo. I think a flexible paddle strop would be easier than a hanging strop. But I'm probably wrong. Again.

There are so many different varieties & styles out there because it's such a personal thing.Some don't use canvas/linen.Just leather.I rarely use the canvas.Trial & error,we eventually find what works best for ourselves as you will find.I will look on eBay for Pete & get back to you about it.There are various paddle strops on eBay including I.E ones.

Last edited:
Type into the eBay search engine> chromium oxide paste for razors knives or metal polishing.
pete210540 sells it.So all you need to do is ask him about the paddle strops.He once made me a four sided long Tom paddle strop.

Last edited:
I Reckon a Hanging Strop is Far Easier to Use than a Paddle Strop to be Honest..Most Folks these Days Lay a Paddle Strop on a Table or Something to Use it..Unless they are the Sprung Type Paddle Strops they were Held in the Hand Yesteryears For a Light Touch & Minimal Pressure...Hence the Handle..I Personally Cant Use a Paddle Strop for Daily Stropping..

The Canvas Side is Not Used by Everyone..A Lot of High End Strops Like My Tony Miller Strop is Double Leather..I have Only Quite Recently been Using Canvas & Whither there is a Need for it I Cant Say with any Certainty to be Honest..

Billy

Whenever I've used my four sided paddle strop I've always held it at an angle over a table and rested half the bottom edge on it because it's very heavy like a cricket bat haha.I very rarely use it to be honest.Likewise though,I only use the hanging strop.

Last edited: