Lifetime Razor For My Son

My son will soon be shaving. He's quite excited about it and will be doing it "properly". He likes and uses traditional things: watches, fountain pens, pocket knives etc....

So, he has a beginners kit ready to start with the standard DE89:

20230320_134724.jpg

But, I wanted to get him a razor to keep for a lifetime. One which won't wear out or break. Been looking for a while. It didn't have to be cheap or pricey. Just "right".

Anyway, I made my choice and it turned up today:

20230320_134749.jpg

The Razorine Flatboy. Should last forever. Has a reputation for efficency. Is interesting. Built like a tank. Hopefully it'll fit the bill.

20230320_133759.jpg

20230320_133852.jpg

My son will soon be shaving. He's quite excited about it and will be doing it "properly". He likes and uses traditional things: watches, fountain pens, pocket knives etc....

So, he has a beginners kit ready to start with the standard DE89:

View attachment 102655

But, I wanted to get him a razor to keep for a lifetime. One which won't wear out or break. Been looking for a while. It didn't have to be cheap or pricey. Just "right".

Anyway, I made my choice and it turned up today:

View attachment 102656

The Razorine Flatboy. Should last forever. Has a reputation for efficency. Is interesting. Built like a tank. Hopefully it'll fit the bill.

View attachment 102657

View attachment 102658
Perfect, it will certainly last a lifetime. Good choice.

Paul.

A Flatboy? Wow, interesting choice. Aggressive with a totally different angle from the '89 and suffers from a lot of blade chatter in my experience. Some love them though. And if he's anything like his faither, he'll probably do well with such a razor given your R41 love. I look forward to his DE86 SotDs - I have exactly the same razor. First DE razor that I managed a proper, blood free shave with and I love the black handle. Proper father to son shave training. Kudos.

A Flatboy? Wow, interesting choice. Aggressive with a totally different angle from the '89 and suffers from a lot of blade chatter in my experience. Some love them though. And if he's anything like his faither, he'll probably do well with such a razor given your R41 love. I look forward to his DE86 SotDs - I have exactly the same razor. First DE razor that I managed a proper, blood free shave with and I love the black handle. Proper father to son shave training. Kudos.
Most reviews seem to say they’re very smooth to use. I must admit that seeing you have one helped my decision, given your views of the R41.,,

My son will soon be shaving. He's quite excited about it and will be doing it "properly". He likes and uses traditional things: watches, fountain pens, pocket knives

I'm not sure why, but this sentence gives me a sense of hope for the younger generation.

Maybe it's down to seeing them pick things which may be less 'advanced' than their successors. For example a fountain pen to write a letter is a far more labour intensive method to communicate rather than an email, however the handwritten letter using a glorious fountain pen with purple ink is something that is special in it's own right.

I hope OS's son and others will still use the 'archaic' forms that still have much to offer to this landscape.

Great gesture. My old man never taught me anything apart from be seen and not heard, and only gave me his old Braun foil shaver when he decided to hide behind his beard again. I never liked electric shavers and went straight to disposables. I wanted to give my godson a proper start to shaving but they weren't keen on him having DE as his little brother isn't old enough to be coming across those. So now he's all into multi blade carts and gel. The more blades and strips etc the better, apparently! Not sure I can get him to try real soaps and brushes, but maybe I'll try again with his little brother in a couple of years.

If he's naughty I'll give him my dodgy Kent fat and my Haryali badger!

Great gesture. My old man never taught me anything apart from be seen and not heard, and only gave me his old Braun foil shaver when he decided to hide behind his beard again. I never liked electric shavers and went straight to disposables. I wanted to give my godson a proper start to shaving but they weren't keen on him having DE as his little brother isn't old enough to be coming across those. So now he's all into multi blade carts and gel. The more blades and strips etc the better, apparently! Not sure I can get him to try real soaps and brushes, but maybe I'll try again with his little brother in a couple of years.

If he's naughty I'll give him my dodgy Kent fat and my Haryali badger!
Might be worth trying the soaps and brushes for him, along with the disposables he's into until his brother's older. I can understand their concern...

Back
Top Bottom