Less Plastic

Hi folks.

I tend to use creams more than soaps and whilst there are plenty of refill pucks out there for the soap fan I wondered if there are any similar solutions for creams? I will no longer be buying those plastic bowls from tobs, harris, trumpers etc but would still like to be able to use a cream if possible. Would be great if they could offer refills.

Proraso do pouches for barber use, any other suggestions?

Hi folks.

I tend to use creams more than soaps and whilst there are plenty of refill pucks out there for the soap fan I wondered if there are any similar solutions for creams? I will no longer be buying those plastic bowls from tobs, harris, trumpers etc but would still like to be able to use a cream if possible. Would be great if they could offer refills.

It might seem like a leftfield suggestion, but if you want to minimise plastic waste and still want to use shaving creams from plastic tubes/containers, I'd recommend keeping an eye out for PIF's here when often people are giving away things and sometimes there seem to be few people interested, the same applies with second hand shaving creams. For both ways it's akin to using something that may have otherwise ended up in the rubbish tip.

It would certainly be good if cream refills were readily available. The bulk barbershop are a good idea if they can be used up reasonably quickly, but they come, or used to, in plastic bladders.

Personally, I use any plastic soap tubs, for which there aren't refills, for other storage around the house and workshop. Hereabouts, these can be "blue bin" recycled, but that seems like the waste of a useful container.

My favourite containers are the aluminium ones that Signature croaps (and Nanny's used to be) are supplied in.

The excellent bargain basement Palmolive Classic Shaving Cream is just £2 for a 100metal tube from many supermarkets.

I have kept back some empty nice-looking Proraso glass bottles for possible use with shaving creams. I filled one with white lithium grease for my hobbies / repairs and made sure i re-labelled it VERY clearly :)

There is also the refillable silicone squeezy travel bottles intended for small amounts of soap and shave creams ? One of those would be ideal because the flip lid is removable so you can easily wash them out.

The excellent bargain basement Palmolive Classic Shaving Cream is just £2 for a 100metal tube from many supermarkets.

I have kept back some empty nice-looking Proraso glass bottles for possible use with shaving creams. I filled one with white lithium grease for my hobbies / repairs and made sure i re-labelled it VERY clearly :)

There is also the refillable silicone squeezy travel bottles intended for small amounts of soap and shave creams ? One of those would be ideal because the flip lid is removable so you can easily wash them out.
I imagine lithium grease has terrific glide though,

Hi folks.

I use both aluminium and Polypropylene tubs for my shaving soaps. I’ve no problem in using Polypropylene as it is easily recycled unlike a lot of true plastics. I had a US YouTuber making an issue about how easily dented aluminium tubs are and for shaving enthusiasts who want to do SOTD images they look so unsightly. Seems as a makers we can’t win! I’m now having to supply US in Polypropylene tubs as he “ridiculed” my aluminium packaging! I’ve made sure, however the tubs can be easily recycled hence using Polypropylene. At the end of the day any tub or tin can be repurposed. How many of our dads stored screws, nuts and bolts etc in tins, plastic tubs and coffee jars. All we have to do is the same.

Last edited:
Shame Brian, yeah like you say, you can't please everyone. I have loads of pots and jars full of various fasteners and small useful things. My late stepdad had untold Vitalite margarine tubs in the garage. FWIW I quite like the screw top aluminium tins that my OSP samples came in, similar to what air gun pellets came in. I use one as a blade bank, one for copper grease, they're just handy to have. Sounds like matey on YT was a bit precious!

I keep all sorts of screws, nails, nuts, bolts and other fittings in old tea and biscuit tins and unloved plastic containers. Why buy purpose made when you can repurpose to your own requirements.

@BrianH yon US YouTuber must be a right end of the bell to want polypropylene over aluminium. Give dented and bashed ally every time!

Hi folks.

Yea I hear what you're saying bit like those coffee refills you can buy which come in those simple recycling type of sealed bags

I use both aluminium and Polypropylene tubs for my shaving soaps. I’ve no problem in using Polypropylene as it is easily recycled unlike a lot of true plastics. I had a US YouTuber making an issue about how easily dented aluminium tubs are and for shaving enthusiasts who want to do SOTD images they look so unsightly. Seems as a makers we can’t win! I’m now having to supply US in Polypropylene tubs as he “ridiculed” my aluminium packaging! I’ve made sure, however the tubs can be easily recycled hence using Polypropylene. At the end of the day any tub or tin can be repurposed. How many of our dads stored screws, nuts and bolts etc in tins, plastic tubs and coffee jars. All we have to do is the same.
I reuse my old tubs, thats why I'm looking for refill recommendations. What I want to avoid is adding yet more empty plastic tubs to my shelves. No shortage of jam jars out there for screws etc if I ever need more.

Sounds like the youtube guy was being a bit harsh but yours is more of an artisan product, and enthusiasts are more likely to be picky. The many thousands of mass market plastic tubs of tobs cream aren't going to be posted on instagram, and thats the sort of product that should absolutely be selling refills. That's what I'd like to see.

Back
Top Bottom