Least agressive adjustable razor

Whisper it quietly, but I enjoyed the Fatboy passaround for the quality of the hardware, not the adjustableness (OK that's not a word, fight me ;) ) of it. In my limited experience, I agree that a normal razor can be adjusted based on blade, pressure and angle.

Ah that old hat. The Fat Boy pass around which transpired to be mine because I am shite

I have regularly shaved with all of the Gillette adjustables. My view is that the Super 109 aka Black Beauty is the mildest. However, you need to find a blade that suits you and the razor.
Is the Super 109 any different from the Slim ? Is it just the handle that changes ?

I’ve got a Fatboy, (ok 2 due to impatience believing the first was lost in the post on route to the States, while on the way to Chris at Razorplate), a Pearl Flexi, and Futur clone. I had a Merkur Progress and I guess I’m very much in the minority but could never get to grips with it, (not literally, I had no issues with its grip or weight). It may have been my inexperience, but I just couldn’t get a good shave and generally found it either too aggressive for me or on its too lowest setting too mild. However it was amazingly put together and I regret not being able to find a sweet spot with it.
The Gillette Fatboy’s have both given great smooth and mild shaves, very much on the low end of the mild scale, though my first has had some repair work done by Chris it still was brilliant.
The Futur Clone was a present from my wife when I started shaving and I can’t fault the shave I get, bbs every time. I’m on the hunt for an original but have spent a small fortune this month on soaps so that will have to wait!
The Pearl Flexi is wonderful. I have a v2 and mine doesn’t seem to have any of the blade gap issues the first had. I love the weight and balance, even on high settings as long as its handled well gives a close smooth shave without any harshness, but I find a setting of between 2-3 depending on my growth perfect. It feels great in the hand as the knurling is deep and grippy. It’s a solid and well made piece of kit, despite its initial issues I believe v3 onwards have really sorted any potential problems out. Too be honest this has been my favourite razor until I got my Leaf Twig. The company are great too, communicating honestly about its issues and reacting quickly to solve them. The also sent me a load of freebies with it, blades, brush and soaps which basically as a newbie to the scene at the time of purchase really helped set me up with all the basics. I can’t recommend it enough. It allowed me to learn the ‘craft and skill’ of wet shaving at a mild level, and then start playing with the settings to move up from there when I felt more confident.
I’ve not tried the Rex yet but as much as I’d love to, it’s just a step above what I can afford to pay out on a single razor. It looks amazing and I know that Mark from razor emporium didn’t particularly rate the Flexi and thought it derivative but they both seem based on a Gibbs head to me, as as the creator of the Rex so don’t think he can be a completely objective judge in comparing the 2. Having said that it doesn’t stop me wanting one!

Back
Top Bottom