Least agressive adjustable razor

I currently use a Rockwell 6S mostly with the n° 2 plate.. I would love to get an adjustable but after some research I realise that the Rex would be limited as it appears to be a very aggresive razor even on the lower settings.

Which adjustable would anyone suggest as a less agressive stainless steel alternative to the Rex ?

I currently use a Rockwell 6S mostly with the n° 2 plate.. I would love to get an adjustable but after some research I realise that the Rex would be limited as it appears to be a very aggresive razor even on the lower settings.

Which adjustable would anyone suggest as a less agressive stainless steel alternative to the Rex ?
Hello there,
Let me start by saying any razor can be aggressive, either adjustable,3 piece,TTO,single edge. ..I introduced myself to wet shaving 5 years ago....My humble advice to you is to keep practicing your technique & gain your shaving confidence...I understand your urges to dive in and get those lovely looking razors i myself have four Adjustable razors Parker Variant, Weishi 2.0, +two, Ming Shi 2000s. (Merkur Futur Clones) they all provide me with excellent shaves, but all are very assertive and to use them you must have good technique & shaving confidence along with good preparation.

Something I've taught myself is to 'Shave the lather from your face, rather than the stubble'! this will help to tell yourself to let the weight of the razor & blade do the work with virtually no pressure when shaving...I always apply this method when shaving with all my razors ' aggressive or non-aggressive...I can't comment on the Rockwell 6s as i have never shaved with one...Last but not least, don't expect too much too soon it takes a while to know a razor and more importantly to learn your technique & shaving confidence....Don't go for BBS shave each time you shave ,go for enjoyable ones that cause you no irritation or discomfort...Stick with your Rockwell 6S practice your technique and gain your shaving confidence.
Enjoy your Shaves. Yours- Barry. (y)

Last edited:
I'd say that @Palmolive fox has pretty well summed it up.

However, if you are specifically looking for modern stainless adjustables, other than the Rex, the choice is pretty limited. There was a Barbaros/Rocnel adjustable, but I think it was sold only (or mainly) in the USA, and doesn't appear to be in production. There is also the recently-announced Tatara Muramasa, which is at pre-order stage and is very expensive. The Tatara website gives a lot of detail on it, and there is discussion here and there about it. No doubt others can come up with some more.

As well as the Parker and other adjustables mentioned above, the Merkur Progress, and its customised variants Digress and Mergress, is a decent zamak razor, which I find "mild", and the two best-known vintage Gillette adjustables, the "Slim" and the "Fat Boy", are on the "mild" side at the lower end of the dial.

I have a Rockwell 6S, in the original Kickstarter version with the replacement plates, and I presume the current version is identical. I'm always looking for a smooth, comfortable shave in one, and no more than two passes, and find that plate No. 4 gives me the best results.

Getting the desired results is, as @Palmolive fox says, a matter of technique and practice. Whilst some razors are more docile in use than others, I'd suggest that not many of the better-known ones cannot, in time, be mastered; provided that you stay away from the really brutal (to me, that is) oddities like the Ikon Tech. It's probably worthwhile persevering with the Rockwell for the time being. If you do decide you want to go for an adjustable, the non-stainless versions are a good starting point, at a sensible price.

Thanks for your replies. I fully agree that technique is highly important , I have made great progress with the Rockwell 6S. But, there are times when I would like to quickly take it up or down a level without the need for changing the plates.

If technique is enough would you consider the Rex as a good option, i've seen quite a few vids on YT and even here in the forum whereby everyone considers it to be a relatively agressive shave on anything over setting 2.

The new Tatara Marumusa look great but it really is very expensive.. I like the heft of Stainless Steel razors and as such would prefer to remain within that realm..

Thanks for your replies. I fully agree that technique is highly important , I have made great progress with the Rockwell 6S. But, there are times when I would like to quickly take it up or down a level without the need for changing the plates.

If technique is enough would you consider the Rex as a good option, i've seen quite a few vids on YT and even here in the forum whereby everyone considers it to be a relatively agressive shave on anything over setting 2.

The new Tatara Marumusa look great but it really is very expensive.. I like the heft of Stainless Steel razors and as such would prefer to remain within that realm..
I have a Rex, which I use mostly set to 3 or 3.5 on a scale of 1 to 6. I've used it on higher settings, but it works well for me on those I mention. I don't find it particularly aggressive on any of them, but, as usual, it's a case of "YMMV". A lot depends on what blade(s) you use in it, as is the case with almost all razors, and I doubt that you'd get the same result at a particular setting if, for example, one day you were using a green Astra, and the next time a Feather. That, of course, assumes that you do change makes of blades, but if you don't, and stick with some you like, then the experience will be far more predictable.

I'm guessing that you want to change the settings mid-shave, which isn't something I've ever done, with any adjustable. My own preferred method is to have a couple of different razors on the go at the same time, but that's mainly for variety.

I've read that the Pearl Flexi offers a milder shave than the Rex Ambassador....

Been tempted by a Pearl Flexi on the bay, more my price range; the Rex looks stunning,
but miles above what I'm currently willing to pay for a single shaving accessory....

What puts me off the Merkur is that ever so smoooooth looking handle....

As you know, whilst shaving, I'm able to sever major blood vessels with great ease;
I feel that a handle with a bit of grip for soapy wet fingers is a bit of a must!

Does it give you any problems?

Last edited:
Been tempted by a Pearl Flexi on the bay, more my price range; the Rex looks stunning,
but miles above what I'm currently willing to pay for a single shaving accessory....
Keep your eyes peeled on Shaving Time as the Pearl Flexi is available from there occasionally. There's a 10% off code as well in the Vendors section bringing the price down to £54.

I've got a confession to make - I have a Rex, Pearl Flexi, Merkur Progress and Mergress. I've yet to use the Flexi and Mergress though.

Keep your eyes peeled on Shaving Time as the Pearl Flexi is available from there occasionally. There's a 10% off code as well in the Vendors section bringing the price down to £54.

I've got a confession to make - I have a Rex, Pearl Flexi, Merkur Progress and Mergress. I've yet to use the Flexi and Mergress though.
Don't overdo cleaning the Mergress. Having ultrasonically cleaned it, with a Digress and Progress, I was a bit vexed to find the setting ring was moving independently of the knob. Disassembled and fixed, eventually. The other two were AOK.

Had to look Shaving Time & the Mergress up.
So, the Merkur is a good shaver?
No slippery grip problems?

Back
Top Bottom