Leaf loading consideration

I was using my Leaf in the shower the other day and gave myself a rather nasty scratch. This was not down to my usual incompetence with the blade end but the way the leaf is loaded with a split DE blade.

The issue does not arise until you have got through the complementary single-edged blades and move onto your own DEs. When you snap them in half be aware that they aren't going to split exactly in half. As you can see in the pictures below make sure you load the top portion of your leaf with the blade that has the least amount of excess metal from the spine side or you could catch yourself with the excess sharp metal poking up from the top of the razor.

Just something to be aware of and I had not seen in reviews so far.

InkedIMG_20210319_141340_LI.jpgInkedIMG_20210319_141252_LI.jpg

Interesting, does look dangerous.

For the Twig users out there: Does the Twig suffer with the same issue?
Theoretically, it could. I've just snapped a rather low-quality "Centwin Super Platinum" blade in half and that has broken unevenly, as per @Max Spoofing 's, with one "ear" being longer than the other and thus closer to the top of the razor. However, it hasn't "got out", and has some way to go. I suppose it's one of those luck-of-the-draw things, probably not too frequent, but something to watch out for.

It's not too easy to hold the blade evenly along its full length when breaking it (a vice or clamp would do it, though), which probably leads to the uneven breakage. As a Gibbs/Wardonia DE blade "hacker", I can say that a decent pair of scissors will go straight through a blade without any trouble, and that would produce a clean copy of the "factory-snapped" blades. Rather a lot of trouble to go to, though.

Hi all,
Does the razor allow the snapped blade to be loaded tab bend downwards or is only capable of tab up loading?
The tab down will take the snapped edge away from the top face and hide it under the head.
If it can be done?
T

Hi all,
Does the razor allow the snapped blade to be loaded tab bend downwards or is only capable of tab up loading?
The tab down will take the snapped edge away from the top face and hide it under the head.
If it can be done?
T
The Twig can have the blade loaded either way, but when the bends in the blade are against the curved ends of the razor "top cap", rather than curving with them, there is then a spring resistance against the cap when it's being closed up. This can cause the cap to not want to close up tight to the stops without a little push from a finger. I prefer to do this, rather than forcefully crank the razor shut bar-tight, which will certainly bring everything in line; until that day comes when something doesn't move as it should, or does so, rather too freely.

Back
Top Bottom