Le Tour

I love these exchanges!

I enjoy watching both road racing and track racing and time trials if the main race is on a knife edge. And this is someone who potters round the forest on an awful hybrid while the road and mountain bikers whizz past. And ocassionally pops down to get his paper on two wheels. No deliveries here.

1gear said:
Im not wrong though, its my opinion that its boring so im obviously right.

Tosh. You are obviously wrong ;-) If I say the world is flat am I right because it's my opinion?
You find it boring. I have no problem with that. You saying it's boring is different.

1gear said:
Oh, and your wrong about the best riders are in road riding. Cavendish started off on the track, and he is quite a good rider.

Even though Cav didn't start on the track, this is my point.
Talented cyclists move from other disciplines to the road. Not the other way around. Unless they are past it.
Theo Boss, Wiggins, Boardman.

1gear said:
And, most are on drugs or take some illegal supplements at some stage. Some of the best UK riders take testosterone in winter to bump them up for the summer.

Most sportsmen take illegal supplements in sports where there is money to be made.
Drugs have been part of sport since the Greek Olympics.

bean said:
1gear said:
Im not wrong though, its my opinion that its boring so im obviously right.

Tosh. You are obviously wrong ;-) If I say the world is flat am I right because it's my opinion?
You find it boring. I have no problem with that. You saying it's boring is different.

1gear said:
Oh, and your wrong about the best riders are in road riding. Cavendish started off on the track, and he is quite a good rider.

Even though Cav didn't start on the track, this is my point.
Talented cyclists move from other disciplines to the road. Not the other way around. Unless they are past it.
Theo Boss, Wiggins, Boardman.

1gear said:
And, most are on drugs or take some illegal supplements at some stage. Some of the best UK riders take testosterone in winter to bump them up for the summer.

Most sportsmen take illegal supplements in sports where there is money to be made.
Drugs have been part of sport since the Greek Olympics.

No, if your opinion is that the world is flat, then you believe that. If you want to tell me that the world is flat, and that its a FACT its flat, then your wrong.
TDF and any other bike racing is boring, especially in England. I dont want to ride around around a race track for loads of laps.
Some people sit and watch the bike race's, other people go out on their bike, or go to work, whichever really. ;)

Chris Hoy isnt past it(although he is an old man) and he doesnt do anything else, is he not talented?
Face it, some people dont like to sit and watch cycling for hours, even when they have done cycle races. Also face it that not all talented riders ride in road races. Its abit obvious that a rider who does short sprints on the track hasnt got the right muscles. A road rider will have more staminer, a track cyclist that does short sprints will have alot of power, and completely different muscles and build, which means that them riding on the road wont be that good. It also means that a road rider wont be as good in short races on the track.
So, to conclude all this, not all riders that are good on the road will be good on track, and not all of them will be able to different disciplines in cycling. Its just the fact that some different disciplines do have the cross over, and means that some riders can also ride in more then their chosen disciplin.
Infact, if i could remember back to my sport science days, there is someone that studied this, and said that sports people will have the right memory in their muscle, and have the right needs for a different sport that they can swap over.
Its also why rugby players went to do ballet one time to work on footwork, because they could get the cross over from some of the bits of ballet.

Of course, one could always watch Big brother instead !! Oh look! Brad has been asleep for hours, and he has just turned over on to his left hand side, I wonder what the significance of that is ? " I don't know, do you think he might wake up and go to the toilet in a minute" ?....just a thought,(yawn),folks ;) :lol:

spandexcodpiece said:
Of course, one could always watch Big brother instead !! Oh look! Brad has been asleep for hours, and he has just turned over on to his left hand side, I wonder what the significance of that is ? " I don't know, do you think he might wake up and go to the toilet in a minute" ?....just a thought,(yawn),folks ;) :lol:

Big Brother is utter mind numbing tedious crap .Celebrity Big Brother is much better. :lol: :lol:

1gear said:
No, if your opinion is that the world is flat, then you believe that. If you want to tell me that the world is flat, and that its a FACT its flat, then your wrong.

Nice try ;-)
You don't need to add the 'it's a fact' bit. If you say the world is flat, you are wrong. The fact that it's your opinion makes no difference. That was my point.

But let's not fall out over semantics. I understand that you find road racing boring. I find it exciting. Millions agree with both of us. Probably more agree with you. Viva la difference.

1gear said:
TDF and any other bike racing is boring, especially in England. I dont want to ride around around a race track for loads of laps.

Well only crit races go round lots of laps. Road races tend to be bigger circuits and fewer laps. Pro races are rarely laps at all and go from point to point.

1gear said:
Chris Hoy isnt past it(although he is an old man) and he doesnt do anything else, is he not talented?

He's talented obviously. But track sprinting is so different from time trialling, road racing or endurance track events that there is limited cross over. It's like expecting a 100m sprinter to make it as a marathon runner. (WHich i think is the same point you made towards the end of your post.)

For the purpose of the conversation (seeing where the talent moves) it only makes sense to look where there is enough similarity for there to be cross over. The endurance disciplines like the ones I've mentioned and cyclo cross and cross country mountain biking. In all these disciplines, when someone becomes world champion or is doing exceptionally well, they have a go in the 'big league' and try to make it as a road pro. You'll not find an example of a European pro roadie who is doing well switching to the track (or any other discipline). [/quote]

1gear said:
Face it, some people dont like to sit and watch cycling for hours, even when they have done cycle races. Also face it that not all talented riders ride in road races. Its abit obvious that a rider who does short sprints on the track hasnt got the right muscles. A road rider will have more staminer, a track cyclist that does short sprints will have alot of power, and completely different muscles and build, which means that them riding on the road wont be that good. It also means that a road rider wont be as good in short races on the track.
So, to conclude all this, not all riders that are good on the road will be good on track, and not all of them will be able to different disciplines in cycling. Its just the fact that some different disciplines do have the cross over, and means that some riders can also ride in more then their chosen disciplin.
Infact, if i could remember back to my sport science days, there is someone that studied this, and said that sports people will have the right memory in their muscle, and have the right needs for a different sport that they can swap over.
Its also why rugby players went to do ballet one time to work on footwork, because they could get the cross over from some of the bits of ballet.

I think you lost your way a bit there, but I know what you are getting at and I think I've answered your points earlier.

The important thing is that you're into riding the bike. That makes you a good lad in my book. The fact that you are into traditional wet shaving is another good sign :)

Do you ride for a club? What are your testing pb's?
I only ever did a handful of time trials on my road bike and don't have impressive times to my name (a short 58 was my most credible result). I was ok at road racing, but nothing to brag about. I still get out on the bike every weekend on a club run though and ride the bike to work every day.

"Well only crit races go round lots of laps. Road races tend to be bigger circuits and fewer laps. Pro races are rarely laps at all and go from point to point."

Mallery park here, they use that, which involves quite a few laps of it. Same with Darley moore.

As for the cross over, a certain person said that the throwing of a ball will help with the throwing of the javelin. It uses the same schema(im sure this is what they call it)
Its the same that the schema of ballet can be used in rugby.

I ride for Sherwood CC. I only really got into 10mile TTs properly last year and did 23:36 as a PB. I ride fixed wheel aswell, got a fixed wheel TT bike. I went for a 20mile TT on the fixed TT bike but got a puncture about 100 meters from the start.
Work has taken over riding though, but i ride to work and back every day.

1gear said:
"Well only crit races go round lots of laps. Road races tend to be bigger circuits and fewer laps. Pro races are rarely laps at all and go from point to point."

Mallery park here, they use that, which involves quite a few laps of it. Same with Darley moore.

They are closed circuit crits not road races. I've raced at Darley Moor a few times. It is a boring compared to a road race. But still much more exciting than a time trial!
Road races are.. on the road ;-)

1gear said:
As for the cross over, a certain person said that the throwing of a ball will help with the throwing of the javelin. It uses the same schema(im sure this is what they call it)
Its the same that the schema of ballet can be used in rugby.

Schema schlema. Sounds like you're misremembering bits of GCSE PE and taking it out of context. It's irrelevant to the conversation at hand if the fitness isn't transferable. Chris Hoy's track sprinting fitness isn't transferable to road racing. Bradley Wiggins track fitness is.

The main point is that anyone with the transferable cycling fitness to do so (all endurance disciplines of cycling) move to professional road racing if they have the talent because that is where the kudos, prestige and money is.

1gear said:
I ride for Sherwood CC. I only really got into 10mile TTs properly last year and did 23:36 as a PB. I ride fixed wheel aswell, got a fixed wheel TT bike. I went for a 20mile TT on the fixed TT bike but got a puncture about 100 meters from the start.
Work has taken over riding though, but i ride to work and back every day.

Keep at it, the fast times will come.
Give road racing a go - you might be surprised.
And shave your legs with a brush and razor ;-) (I have to admit I just use my old Sensor and water in the shower)

I suppose you guys going on about watching Le Tour and other long , drawn out cycle races realise what you have just done! You have succeeded in sending every other forum member to sleep at their computers !!! I am in to cycling big time, there isn't a finer way of getting fit, and staying that way! But apart from a few highlights,very few, it is just not very interesting to watch road racing, certainly not for Brits.. You guys will be telling me you watch Motor racing next! In my view, that is the most boring thing you can watch on the box. It is absolutely impossible to know what is going on, even the commentators don't know half the bloomin' time!!

spandex... :(

spandexcodpiece said:
I suppose you guys going on about watching Le Tour and other long , drawn out cycle races realise what you have just done! You have succeeded in sending every other forum member to sleep at their computers !!! I am in to cycling big time, there isn't a finer way of getting fit, and staying that way! But apart from a few highlights,very few, it is just not very interesting to watch road racing, certainly not for Brits.. You guys will be telling me you watch Motor racing next! In my view, that is the most boring thing you can watch on the box. It is absolutely impossible to know what is going on, even the commentators don't know half the bloomin' time!!

I won't be telling you to watch motor sport. I agree it's boring. Not the most boring though. Football takes that biscuit for me!

I doubt many people will be reading this thread in the first place because most Brits have no interest in cycling, so I doubt it's sent many forum members to sleep ;-)

bean said:
spandexcodpiece said:

I won't be telling you to watch motor sport. I agree it's boring. Not the most boring though. Football takes that biscuit for me!

I doubt many people will be reading this thread in the first place because most Brits have no interest in cycling, so I doubt it's sent many forum members to sleep ;-)
Touche sir, touche! ...and of course, you have hit the nail on the head! ...What is boring for some is not necessarily boring for others. :D

Back
Top Bottom