LCP (Lather Consistency Problem) using cream

Ok, today was my second try at using cream, I used Williams Sensitive last time, Palmolive Classic today.

Why can't I make a lather that looks like bath foam (and has about the same consistency), not impressed with myself!
It has to be something I'm doing wrong, so here's my procedure..

- I soak my brush in hot water before I get in the shower
- When I get out, shake to brush twice, to remove excess water.
- Empty the bowl (I used it to soak the brush), add a dollop of cream from the tube.
- add a hint of water. (I guestimate 10 - 15cc)
- Whisk it, whisk it some more.
- Whisk it some more.
- Paint my face.

The lather I get is nice and foamy, but not thick, it doesn't stick that well to my face.

I've had the problem with both brands I tried, then again, I've only done this twice.. so not expecting miracles.

Maybe I should try soaps... or go back to using canned gel...

FB.

Well I reckon you've got too much water as well. As Henk says in a recent post, you can start cream with no water at all. I wouldn't go that far, but I would squeeze the brush rather than shake it. It will still have some moisture, enough to start the lathering process. Don't what cream you have, but most of the cheaper creams need about half a teaspoon I'd have thought. Stick that in the bowl and start swirling. You can add more water but you can't take it away, so gradually add more water until you get the consistency you desire. The alternative is to face lather which is actually easier really.

When you get home and you're not in a rush to get the job done, have a couple of goes at lathering up the cream and if what you produce is rubbish, just swirl it out and have another go, adding more or less water. Cream is cheap enough to have half a dozen muck-abouts without even going anywhere near a razor.

I personally find that most creams work well if I soak the brush, give it a shake, empty the bowl and then start swirling the brush in the bowl. If a lather doesn't start climbing up the sides of the bowl after about 20 seconds it's too dry, so I add a splash of water. When I say splash, all I do is dunk my hand back in the sink and then sprinkle a few drops in the bowl. Keep swirling and add another splash or two if needed. If you then keep adding more water you'll see where you go past the magic point and your lather becomes all weak and has no slipperyness to it anymore.

Sounds like too much water to me, too.

Have some practice sessions. Try bulding the lather in the palm of your hand, and add very small amounts of water as you go.

Ian

Another +1 on to much water.

Shake your brush out a wee bit more and don't add any other water to start with.
start building your lather, then if its not producing add a small amount - literally a few drops - and carry on building.

You can always add water to dry lather - but if you over do it, your back to square one.

At the end of the day, making a good lather itself is as much a skill as shaving with the DE - all part of the fun.

PS - What brush are you using as building cream later with a boar brush can take easily half as long again as with a badger.

Ok, just now I made some more (even though I already shaved this morning)
I used next to no water and the palmolive classic.. WOW! that's what it's supposed to feel like!
Ok so the AD kicked in and I got a nice stainless steel bowl at the supermarket. I can stop using a cereal bowl now ;)

Ok, since I had the lather, and my Gillette Flare tip Rocket came in after my shave this morning, I just had a quick go with it.
(even though there was nothing to shave!)

Thanks guys!

FB.

hunnymonster said:
If the lather is light and airy, it sounds like too much water to me... I'm sure one of the leatherqueens will be along with a diagnosis soon though.

Who are you calling a leather queen?

images

As you have already experienced, too much water. My routine is almost exactly as Stu describes, adding water a few drops at a time by dipping my hand in the sink. Only difference is, there is some initial water in the bowl from heating it under the running tap.

I personally find that most creams work well if I soak the brush, give it a shake, empty the bowl and then start swirling the brush in the bowl. If a lather doesn't start climbing up the sides of the bowl after about 20 seconds it's too dry,

+1 Thats how i do it,i was getting crap lather due to too much water as well..

Back
Top Bottom