Laurel razor, not boudoir model

Picked this up at a car boot sale, couldn't resist it as I ever only seen those tiny boudoir models.
I prefer heavy razors and when I saw the base plate and the heft of the thing I snatched it up.
[attachment=3648]
But it didn't go so well when I tried to put a blade in it.:icon_sad:
[attachment=3649]
The design on the underside of the cap prevents the use of Gillette style blades, obviously the makers attempt to lock the customer into their own propriotry blade.

So after a few choice words with myself, I thought will another type of cap fit:idea:
Now, I've got loads of different types of Tech's, so I tried an aluminium late style cap.
[attachment=3650]
It fit perfectly:icon_cheesygrin:
Well, seen as I making a frankenrazor why not use my Ikon bulldog handle, as well.
[attachment=3651]
[attachment=3652]
Popped a 'Swede' in and got a fantasticly smooth mild shave, real heft to the razor (100 grams), but with a mild cap, so no pressure needed at all.

I've since tried using an earlier nickel (brass) Tech cap that has more curve and that's even better, as it adds just a tiny bit more bite due to the slightly bigger blade gap, plus it's added a further 5 grams at the head.

So what started out as a bit of a disaster has come good in the end.
I've got a cased Laurel that you don't see very often, a very heavy razor I can use, it's sort of 'adjustable' and I think it looks great, especially with the aluminium cap.

I don't know the moral of the story, but I'm very happy:icon_razz:

Attachments

• Laurel 1.JPG
    Laurel 1.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Laurel 2.JPG
    Laurel 2.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Laurel 3.jpg
    Laurel 3.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 16
  • Laurel 4.JPG
    Laurel 4.JPG
    268.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Laurel 5.JPG
    Laurel 5.JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 23
Jamies said:
Picked this up at a car boot sale, couldn't resist it as I ever only seen those tiny boudoir models.
I prefer heavy razors and when I saw the base plate and the heft of the thing I snatched it up.

But it didn't go so well when I tried to put a blade in it.:icon_sad:

The design on the underside of the cap prevents the use of Gillette style blades, obviously the makers attempt to lock the customer into their own propriotry blade.

So after a few choice words with myself, I thought will another type of cap fit:idea:
Now, I've got loads of different types of Tech's, so I tried an aluminium late style cap.

It fit perfectly:icon_cheesygrin:
Well, seen as I making a frankenrazor why not use my Ikon bulldog handle, as well.

Popped a 'Swede' in and got a fantasticly smooth mild shave, real heft to the razor (100 grams), but with a mild cap, so no pressure needed at all.

I've since tried using an earlier nickel (brass) Tech cap that has more curve and that's even better, as it adds just a tiny bit more bite due to the slightly bigger blade gap, plus it's added a further 5 grams at the head.

So what started out as a bit of a disaster has come good in the end.
I've got a cased Laurel that you don't see very often, a very heavy razor I can use, it's sort of 'adjustable' and I think it looks great, especially with the aluminium cap.

I don't know the moral of the story, but I'm very happy:icon_razz:

...and it looks good as well!

In the dark past I read an article, can't remember where, by a guy that cut out parts of the Gillette blade to fit odd razors. I never tried. Has any one ever successfully (safely) done this?

Johnus said:
In the dark past I read an article, can't remember where, by a guy that cut out parts of the Gillette blade to fit odd razors. I never tried. Has any one ever successfully (safely) done this?

I do this to fit a Wadonia razor which I use on occasions.

Back
Top Bottom