Lather - how much water on the brush?

Advice ranges from:
Soak brush then allow water to drip from brush until it stops - no squeezing or shaking.
to
Soak brush then squeeze and shake out excess water until the brush is just damp. Then add back water as needed.

I guess much depends on the type of brush and the softness of water and choice of cream or soap. Seems to me that for each of us it is just trial and error.

Or is there a universal golden rule? Discussion would be appreciated.

No I'm not a retired teacher. Just curious about these things.

I dont think ther eis one hard and fast rule as all the tools are different.

I generally do a soak of my brush and then flick it empty. then cream and lather.

but with soap i find it needs a little more water.

soak & flick here as well. But not really shaking it dry: the brush is still wet but no longer soaking wet nor just damp (if that makes any sense).

As a general rule: adding more water is easy, removing any excess is not.

I'm with Frederick here by and large, but I tend to use a somewhat dryer brush for soap than cream, in contrast to what works for Millay. As usual, Wool Fat seems to be more temperamental in this respect than other soaps: in all honesty I don't usually get the consistency right until the second faceful, whereupon suddenly there's way too much lather in the brush ... :roll: I'm blessed with very soft water, by the way.

The forums will guide you towards the better brushes, soaps and creams but water quality, personal experience etc. play a big part too. Hopefully you will find the right way to make lather that you are happy with but there are no hard and fast rules to making the ideal lather that suits you. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Pete

This is my pedantic answer:

I would suggest there is (unfortunately) no hard and fast rule you can follow to obtain the perfect lather. There are just too many variables involved; the brush, the soap/cream, the hardness and even the heat of the water used. Possibly even the individual technique of creating lather, whether on the face or in the bowl. Moreover, it is clear that different qualities of lather are preferred by different individuals. Some like thick luxurious lather, while other prefer a thinner more watery type.

All that can be suggested is that you start off with less rather than more water, as it is easier to add water to the mix than take it away.

(The trouble with this answer is that it will confuse and put off anyone new to this lark. I remember reading a specific technique given on B&B and presumably just adapted it to my situation as I'm sure I don't do things the same as when I started)

:shave :D :shave

Pig Cat said:
This is my pedantic answer:

I would suggest there is (unfortunately) no hard and fast rule you can follow to obtain the perfect lather. There are just too many variables involved; the brush, the soap/cream, the hardness and even the heat of the water used. Possibly even the individual technique of creating lather, whether on the face or in the bowl. Moreover, it is clear that different qualities of lather are preferred by different individuals. Some like thick luxurious lather, while other prefer a thinner more watery type.

All that can be suggested is that you start off with less rather than more water, as it is easier to add water to the mix than take it away.

I associate myself with this well-reasoned line of thought.

The flippant answer is "enough, but not too much" of course :D

I agree wioth all of the above.

With creams this works for me with the boar brushes i use - Any cream & face lathering.

Soak brush while in the shower. Pull the brush out of the water & hold it bristles down until the water stops "running out" Then I "flick" it two times. By flick i mean raise the brush 6" then drop it & stop sharply, this flicks more water out. Add a dad of cream into the top of the brush. Put hot flannel on the coupon for 30sec then lather away.

For soaps i do the same with one more flick- I have to keep it simple.

Try this method with your 1305.

If you just leave the brush soaking for an arbitrary amount of time then a consistent water removal routine is important.
After a soak I usually give the brush a "gentle" squeeze for creams and a "firm" squeeze and a shake for soap scrubbing.

Back
Top Bottom