Lather catch needs a new handle

Most of the time, I've seen, "lather catcher", describing the large-mouth Gem/Star/Ever Ready/etc., razors, but with a wide variety of handles. Were you looking for one of the early wood, the knobbed, Kampfe-style, or...?

IIRC, they should have been standardized on a 10-32 pitch thread in the States; however, I'm not certain that was true internationally (seems to be, with several of mine, FWIW).

For a vintage metal handle, I would look at picking up an era-appropriate non-LC complete razor. For wood, in all honesty, I would probably want a stabilised wood, new-made. Ebony would be fairly accurate reproduction, or a dark-stained oak, maybe walnut. Birds-eye maple, cocobolo, lignum vitae, or some of the more exotic woods would be quite the eye-catchers.:icon_razz:

Edit: point being, if you wanted repro, it should be quite easy for a wood-turner, fitted with a nice brass 10-32 all-thread rod, and brass or nickel-plated cap.

Depends on the model ofather catcher. If you have a Gem Jr (1901) model, Ever Ready 1914 (aka, "little lather catcher", WW1 or "lift here") handles shold fit. You can get a 1914 cheaply on the bay so experimenting won't break the bank.

Back
Top Bottom