Lands End to John O'groats Challenge Distance Record

Nice bike but tell more about the stairs the handrail and the upright (balestrade ) look like quality solid wood. I,like a bit off wood me.
Copyright, French and saunders, fat men thrusting against a bench or a chair or a shelf or anything really. Still it was hilarious.

It is indeed solid wood. The handrail is made in the longest lengths possible and steamed (or whatever) around the bends. Quite an impressive piece. I do like to polish it with natural wax which brings out the best in it. And of course preserves. The uprights are down for painting this year.

As you can see there are small waves on the underside of the steps which follow all the way to the top of the 3 floors. Probably something to do with the houses being built by Merchant Shipping financiers. Quite a few local houses were used by the shipping companies as accommodation for their ship's masters. Just around the corner is the Captain of the Titanic's house and the White Star owners house. Mine lists me as being the 5th Master to have lived there.

Built around the 1880's and listed 1 which is a pain in the arse.

In general though I said yes to the house based on the hallway alone with its wonderful architraving and ceiling details of flowers and butterflies.

A bargain price at the time as no one wanted old houses and taken 20 years to renovate.. and still not finished.

A bit of digression.....but a nice bike shed

Another Wednesday evening cycling marathon.

Discovered a great little cook book for long-distance cycling: Feed Zone Portables, They go into some of the science of sports nutrition and focus on recipes which are easy to grab 'n stuff on the go like rice cakes (sticky sushi rice plus whatever flavours you fancy) and "two bite pies". Highly recommended.

Today's run: 84km

total distance: 352km

Just got back from walking The Yorkshire Wolds Way (79 miles) and the Cleveland Way (109 miles) carrying camping gear etc. No idea how many steps but both are cracking walks if you are interested in these types of trails.

You must have passed to where I was in Market Weighton. I cycled part of the Wolds Way while I was over there.

Good to be back home in Liverpool and familiar roads with no long steep hills.

Today - 29Km

Total - 309.9Km

20220728_181412.jpg

The Mersey estuary from Crosby Coastguard Station. The marker is not a navigational mark as such, but there used to be a number of them along the coastline here and they were used for speed trials for newbuild ships

Back
Top Bottom