Jury's Out

Picked up a couple of products whilst trudging around Waitrose at the weekend; St James of London, Founders Reserve brushless shaving cream and a matching pre-shave oil.

I am still experimenting with different products, so thought I would give it a go. I've used the oil a few times with my usual soaps and it seems good so I tried the cream tonight. I have really mixed thoughts.

On the plus side it gives a super smooth shave when used with the oil. And that's what it's main job is, right? Absolutely no scraping or irritation.

On the downside you need to use quite a lot, it is cold which feels horrible when you usually mix soap in a nice warm bowl and it is really messy. Really messy. It doesn't just dissolve away when you rinse your razor, it leave chunks floating in the water (in this case, in the bath).

Anyone else tried it? What are your thoughts?

OrangeSport said:
Picked up a couple of products whilst trudging around Waitrose at the weekend; St James of London, Founders Reserve brushless shaving cream and a matching pre-shave oil.

I am still experimenting with different products, so thought I would give it a go. I've used the oil a few times with my usual soaps and it seems good so I tried the cream tonight. I have really mixed thoughts.

On the plus side it gives a super smooth shave when used with the oil. And that's what it's main job is, right? Absolutely no scraping or irritation.

On the downside you need to use quite a lot, it is cold which feels horrible when you usually mix soap in a nice warm bowl and it is really messy. Really messy. It doesn't just dissolve away when you rinse your razor, it leave chunks floating in the water (in this case, in the bath).

Anyone else tried it? What are your thoughts?

I've only once tried a brushless cream. It was not good. It was in fact utter rubbish. Disappointing, when you can get a perfectly good cream for a couple of quid, you have to wonder what the point is in making a shite one for far more.

I saw this stuff in my local Waitrose coming up to Christmas time, I think it was a set that had an aftershave, a boar brush and some shaving cream, can't remember if it was brushless but it would seem odd being in a set with a brush. I'm not sure what their full range even includes and I suspect it's another Creightons creation on behalf of John Lewis.

I know one of our members uses the St James stuff, I've seen it in SOTD occasionally. Might be Jack Force.
Brushless cream does seem an unattractive concept to me, if only for the temperature!

I was given a brushless cream last Christmas. Cowshed Bullocks Smooth Shaving Cream. Using it with a DE is a very unsatisfactory experience compared to a nice lather whipped up with a brush. No cushion and you use a lot of product for a multi-pass shave. They're really, understandably, made with cartridge shaving in mind, which , to be fair, they're much better suited to, although personally I'd prefer to stick to soap / cream & brush for carts as well. I think it's about £13 for 100ml tube. So yes expensive, and I certainly wouldn't buy a brushless myself.

Back
Top Bottom