July 2022 Acquisitions

Couple of vintage sticks of Cuticura (Mildly Medicated) shaving sticks.

s-l1600.jpg

Unbenkown to me at the time of purchase, I found there was a second stick in the box. Bonus!

Think i seen these or similar on ebay.
Will be interesting what your thoughts are once your had a chance to use it

I believe these are from the 1960s and were sold through Boots.

The one in the stick container is dark blue, like Wilkinson Sword shaving stick but darker and perhaps a little more green. The one in the cardboard box was found to be white and so initially I thought it was another stick, but after grating it ... it was also dark blue. Just oxidisation, I guess. Very little scent, just a light ... well, medicated scent. Quick test lather was very positive.

It's on the slate for next week's shaves ...

Which reminds me, I still need to bust out that Boots Regesan stick I bought from @Rohleder

I believe these are from the 1960s and were sold through Boots.

The one in the stick container is dark blue, like Wilkinson Sword shaving stick but darker and perhaps a little more green. The one in the cardboard box was found to be white and so initially I thought it was another stick, but after grating it ... it was also dark blue. Just oxidisation, I guess. Very little scent, just a light ... well, medicated scent. Quick test lather was very positive.

It's on the slate for next week's shaves ...

Which reminds me, I still need to bust out that Boots Regesan stick I bought from @Rohleder
I love these little finds.
I have a Boots Puck which is ok ish.
I have one away & found another.
The residual slickness isn’t the best but i guess that’s what you got back then.
I still enjoy using it although with the boots aftershave & balm

I love these little finds.
I have a Boots Puck which is ok ish.
I have one away & found another.
The residual slickness isn’t the best but i guess that’s what you got back then.
I still enjoy using it although with the boots aftershave & balm

Vintage suits me very well indeed ...

I have a Coty Avocado Shaving Bowl (the formula, which I think was the inspiration for Wickham 1912) possibly from the 1950s and it is the best soap in my collection. Boots Albany Mentholated, again most likely 1950s an absolutely superb soap which has a gentle mentholation like a cool breeze; quite the opposite of today's massively overdone examples. Loads more, but another that stands out is the Rolls Razor Shaving Bowl.

I do have some modern soaps, but they tend to be the classics that happen to still be produced, like MWF, but looking at them, many are discontinued now or are the older formulas: Tabac, Palmolive (Stick) or Wilkinson Sword (Stick) even the very modern EcoWarrior has now been superceded.

Seems my collection has made itself vintage while I've been curating it.

Last edited:
Wow they look cool Si. Where did you get them from then? US import?
Thanks! They’re great though!

Anticatura - Slovenian wetshaving shop - does ship to UK! The postage isn’t too bad either when grabbing a few bits (I think I paid £10 postage overall and it was here within week and half max )! They seem to have a fair few American wetshaving artisans in their offerings, and prices by comparison seem even slightly cheaper than slickboys from what I remember

Arrived and cleaned up doesn't look too bad. The top cap was dull old metal, now has a bit of a shine. A peek polish followed by Silvo and cardboard to try and get a bit of shine to it. Not bad for something that's knocking on 80 years old!

The peek did the job on the bakelite handle and plate.

All for less than the price of a fancy pint down the pub!

Attachments

• IMG_20220702_121558__01.jpg
    IMG_20220702_121558__01.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220702_121459__02.jpg
    IMG_20220702_121459__02.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom