John Gosnell

My wife was watching a TV programme the other night that looked at Victorian makeup. It was actually quite interesting. A company came up that is considered the oldest cosmetics manufacturer in the UK - John Gosnell. It is still in operation today.

Apparently this company makes a shaving cream (perhaps for others?) but I couldn't find any information on it although I found a few old soap bowls on ebay. Does anyone know of this manufacturer and if there is a current guise of their shaving products?

Interesting, thank you. I wonder if they wound up shaving products after that period although the Gosnell website suggests different.
From what I could find out, I think they might have made this:

From what I could find out, I think they might have made this:

Good detective work. Assuming the 3D shave product is good, that could be the kind of thing that would work for @Greybeard when traveling

Good detective work. Assuming the 3D shave product is good, that could be the kind of thing that would work for @Greybeard when traveling
Nice catch @Boycie83 ;).
I just checked out that '3D' stuff. Looks to me like the Buff Day Spa is one of those over-priced places that peeps go to be pampered and this is one of their own products...mmmm...probably made in their secret underground bunker by squeezing sheep and oily fish through a blender, adding black pepper and mint and then, when it's nice and creamy and oily, deciding that it's must be not only a shaving cream but a shaving oil as well:eek::eek::eek::eek:. But wait...that's only 2 things...if only we could think up a third thing then we could say it's made in 3D!!!!:p:p:p:p. I know, let's say it moisturises too! Can we do that? Why yes...after using it does your skin feel dry? No...it actually will feel soft (read 'oily')...so yes we can say it moisturises too!!! Yeeeeeeeeeeees! We have 3D. IT'S ALIVE!:D:D:D:p:p:D:D:D. Well if it's 3D, can't we charge a fortune for it? What £15-£20 for a small tube? Sounds 'bout right...and look on the bright side...if we sell it in the online shop, there's bound to be some poor sod looking to go ultralight backpacking who'll be willing to pay that for something that's three whole things in one, even if it actually just does one thing:unsure::unsure::unsure:o_Oo_Oo_O. Wow...I think we are on to a winner guys! Enter, Greybeard.

Well, tempting as it sounds, I think I'll give this one a miss:):)

Nice catch @Boycie83 ;).
I just checked out that '3D' stuff. Looks to me like the Buff Day Spa is one of those over-priced places that peeps go to be pampered and this is one of their own products...mmmm...probably made in their secret underground bunker by squeezing sheep and oily fish through a blender, adding black pepper and mint and then, when it's nice and creamy and oily, deciding that it's must be not only a shaving cream but a shaving oil as well:eek::eek::eek::eek:. But wait...that's only 2 things...if only we could think up a third thing then we could say it's made in 3D!!!!:p:p:p:p. I know, let's say it moisturises too! Can we do that? Why yes...after using it does your skin feel dry? No...it actually will feel soft (read 'oily')...so yes we can say it moisturises too!!! Yeeeeeeeeeeees! We have 3D. IT'S ALIVE!:D:D:D:p:p:D:D:D. Well if it's 3D, can't we charge a fortune for it? What £15-£20 for a small tube? Sounds 'bout right...and look on the bright side...if we sell it in the online shop, there's bound to be some poor sod looking to go ultralight backpacking who'll be willing to pay that for something that's three whole things in one, even if it actually just does one thing:unsure::unsure::unsure:o_Oo_Oo_O. Wow...I think we are on to a winner guys! Enter, Greybeard.

Well, tempting as it sounds, I think I'll give this one a miss:):)
Where's your spirit of adventure?

Back
Top Bottom