John and Wm bragg Sheffield razor restore tips

Hi all,just been given a basic looking razor that is in need of lots of work to the blade.it is pretty filthy and I need some tips of how to clean it so I can get a better look at it!any advice?pictures to follow soon!

monkeytennis said:
Hi all,just been given a basic looking razor that is in need of lots of work to the blade.it is pretty filthy and I need some tips of how to clean it so I can get a better look at it!any advice?pictures to follow soon!

If you think it is just dirt try using some autosol and see if you can polish it up, what you might find though is that dirty marks are actual rust and when you clean them out you can see pitting in the steel, there are a few diffrent options open to you then, but they will depend on the blade and what you want it to look like

OK, here are some pics.

2011-08-22%25252021.05.25.jpg

2011-08-22%25252021.06.35.jpg

2011-08-22%25252021.07.01.jpg

Nice looking heavy Razor, I would just polish it up with autosol. You can either unpin it or try polishing in between the tang and handle with some polish and tooth floss. Or just send it away to neil and have it cleaned and honed so you can start hacking away.

How much does that normally cost? How would I go about unpinning it? I am not sure if it was my father in laws or his dads as he gave me his dads rolls razor at the same time!

First off nice razor. It's always nice to have family heirlooms.

Give it a try with Autosol to see if it will clean up to the standard you want if it won't then I would send it away to Neil for a polish and a hone and ask him to sort out a strop for you at the same time.

Exile said:
First off nice razor. It's always nice to have family heirlooms.

Give it a try with Autosol to see if it will clean up to the standard you want if it won't then I would send it away to Neil for a polish and a hone and ask him to sort out a strop for you at the same time.

Quite an enduring firm, John & William Ragg!

Founded in 1831 by John & William Ragg in Johnson Street, Sheffield. Listed in 1837 as 'razor, scissor & pen knife manufacturers'. In 1839 the company ran a number of advertisements using it's new 'Napoleon' brand, also 'Plantagenet' and 'Paragon'. John died in 1851 at the age of 49. William held public offices as Overseer of the Poor and Chairman of the Highway Board. He died in 1865 at the age of 56. In the late 1860s the partners were James Crawshaw Ragg and William Ragg. James died in 1887 at the age of 72. In the 1800s the firm operated from Nursery Street. William died in 1907 aged 70. Post 1907 the firm worked from Eldon Street where they had the Nursery Works. In the 1920s they introduced their Rotax safety razor. In 1956 they moved to Little London Road and Norton Hammer, Sheffield. The managing directors were yet another William Ragg (joined the company in 1896) and his son, also called William. The father died in 1965 at the age of 84. In 2010, after its takeover of William Grant, the firm continued to
operate as Granton Ragg Ltd, Parkway. Incidentally, the man known as 'The Last Razor Grinder in Sheffield' - Bill Hukin - worked at J & W Ragg. His setter-in at that time was Tom Renshaw. Bill Hukin died in 1995 aged 89.

Is your razor hollow ground on one side and flat on the other side? If so, it is not a shaving razor, but a microtome razor for sectioning specimens to look at under the microscope.

Regards,
Neil

Hi Neil, I have actually just sent you the pictures of the razor (I'm Edward Craven who sent you an email earlier on about restoring it!) Here is a pic of it end on, as not 100% as to hollow ground or not!!!

DSCF5112.JPG

Thinking that it does have a straight edge to it which is a shame (which would make sense as father in law is a doctor)

Hello Ed!

Got the pics - thanks - sent you an email about the razor.

It is a microtome razor.

Nice nails, BTW, you certainly know how to keep good care of your hands! :)

Regards,
Neil

monkeytennis said:
Hi Neil, I have actually just sent you the pictures of the razor (I'm Edward Craven who sent you an email earlier on about restoring it!) Here is a pic of it end on, as not 100% as to hollow ground or not!!!

DSCF5112.JPG

Thinking that it does have a straight edge to it which is a shame (which would make sense as father in law is a doctor)

Neil Miller said:
Hello Ed!

Got the pics - thanks - sent you an email about the razor.

It is a microtome razor.

Nice nails, BTW, you certainly know how to keep good care of your hands! :)

Regards,
Neil

monkeytennis said:

DSCF5112.JPG

Forgot to mention my wife was holding the razor! I find brighter nail polish works best for me! Cheers, Ed

Back
Top Bottom