JM Fraser's Shaving cream ingredients

Aqua, stearic acid, coconut oil, glycerin, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, sodium borate, imidazolidinyl urea, parfum.

Any comments Henk? Looks pretty standard fare, but with a 'different' antimicrobial (the unpronounceable urea thing). Both the "original" and the Polar Ice versions I have here are identical (apart from the choice of fragrance).

The cream looks dead standard to me, with a basis of potassium and sodium stearate and cocoate. Borate is sometimes used as a component of a mild emulsifier, but the additional required thingies are absent, so my guess is that it is a preservative here. The imidazolidinyl urea is classified as a formaldehyde-releasing preservative. Interesting thing is that the degradation product upon formaldehyde release is allantoin, or a closely related molecule, so it may alternatively, or additionally be a skin active -- a shaving cream does not really need (much) preservation.

Imidazolidinyl urea is possibly carcinogenic; although the only indications are a slight mutagenic effect in the Ames test and (presumably) its release of formaldehyde, a known (inhalation) carcinogen.

Personally, I would prefer a shaving soap/cream without preservatives (since they really don't need one), or with a simple preservative like a paraben mix, phenoxyethanol, or benzoate type preservative.

I'm quite interested in the Fraser's cream. In a review on another board, somebody mentioned that the Canadian company that manufactures JMF also makes the Ultimate Comfort cream for T&H. Interesting, as I thought Creightons made cream for T&H in England.

T&H UC ingredients: Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Lavendula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide, Linalool

Disappointingly average cream.

Back
Top Bottom