jewelers loupe

Does anyone here use a jewelers loupe for inspecting the edges of your razor when honing. If yes what power cheap high power or a quality low power. I was thinking about a quality low power maybe x10-x15 power will this be enough to get the job done?

Big.Dave said:
Does anyone here use a jewelers loupe for inspecting the edges of your razor when honing. If yes what power cheap high power or a quality low power. I was thinking about a quality low power maybe x10-x15 power will this be enough to get the job done?

A quality 20x - 30x would be better. Getting enough light on the subject is a problem, though, although some I have seen have little LED lights. 10x or roundabouts will only give you basic info, but its enough at a pinch. To study the grit marks left on the bevel a USB scope is better but a bit of a pain to use.

Regards,
Neil

Thanks for the replys guys.

So from what you have said if I understand correctly with a loupe x10 upwards I should be able to see the basic stuff like are the bevels set correctly, Small chips in the edge and possibly get an early indication of any honing errors if this is correct then this is what I would be looking for. As for using a microscope to look at grit marks left on the bevel is this just a technique to identify when the blade is at a point where it would give a smooth shave without actualy shaving with it?

Would it be possible to get similar results by just to recording the number of laps made on the finishing stone and through trial and error work out what the optimum amount of laps would be needed to get a comfortable shave.

Also a question for Arrowhead is your loupe an ebay cheapie or did you go for a quality one?

I've been keeping an eye out for a loupe or usb microscope too. Would be interested if anyone has decent recomendations, looking around on Amazon most of the cheaper 20-30x loupes and usb ~20-400x scopes have reviews saying they far lower power. I'm leaning towards a usb microscope as even if the power is nowhere near 400x I'm thinking it would still do the job and my 6 year old daughter has recently decided that science is really cool and microscopes = science.

Proinsias said:
I've been keeping an eye out for a loupe or usb microscope too. Would be interested if anyone has decent recomendations, looking around on Amazon most of the cheaper 20-30x loupes and usb ~20-400x scopes have reviews saying they far lower power. I'm leaning towards a usb microscope as even if the power is nowhere near 400x I'm thinking it would still do the job and my 6 year old daughter has recently decided that science is really cool and microscopes = science.

I'm not planning on going down the microscope route just yet. If I did it would end up with me wanting more finer hones. over kill springs to mind all I would be looking for is something to help me get the basics right then play with the polishing untill I get super smooth shaves.

Proinsias said:
I'm leaning towards a usb microscope as even if the power is nowhere near 400x I'm thinking it would still do the job and my 6 year old daughter has recently decided that science is really cool and microscopes = science.

Digitalblue QX-5 :)

Keep your eye open - I got mine <cough><cough>my son's for about £30 new from Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom