Razor: Gillette Old Type
Blade: NOS (70s) Gillette Platinum (5)
Brush: AP Shave 2BED
Soap: MdC Original
Pre: Proraso White
ASL: Floïd Suave
ASB: Floïd

IMG_20210106_163003.jpg

This was my first time using the Old Type. I'm generally not a fan of open combs and prepared myself for disliking this in advance of the shave. I shouldn't have.

King C certainly got it right when he designed this thing. That was an easy smooth shave. I've parked my original plan of using this once and I'm now looking forward to Saturday's shave with it. Has it been helped by the MdC lather? Perhaps, but the next shave will confirm.

07/01/21 - Vintage Month

View attachment 62955

This was my first time using the Old Type. I'm generally not a fan of open combs and prepared myself for disliking this in advance of the shave. I shouldn't have.

King C certainly got it right when he designed this thing. That was an easy smooth shave. I've parked my original plan of using this once and I'm now looking forward to Saturday's shave with it. Has it been helped by the MdC lather? Perhaps, but the next shave will confirm.
As I've said many times, "The Gillette OLD type is the best DE razor ever made", everything after that was just marketing.

07/01/21 - Vintage Month

View attachment 62955

It took me a number of shaves to dial in the right angle for the Old Type, and once I did I found it to be a incredibly smooth and comfortable daily shaver.

I found my Old Type seemed to perform at it's best with a few blades, with subcontinent blades being the best performers - the Winner Platinum and 7 Black were two ones I found the razor suited.

As for the lather, I've not used MDC but I found I had better shaves with the OT if the lathers were slicker side of things.

It took me a number of shaves to dial in the right angle for the Old Type, and once I did I found it to be a incredibly smooth and comfortable daily shaver.

I found my Old Type seemed to perform at it's best with a few blades, with subcontinent blades being the best performers - the Winner Platinum and 7 Black were two ones I found the razor suited.

As for the lather, I've not used MDC but I found I had better shaves with the OT if the lathers were slicker side of things.
It's getting XXX next which isn't as good as MdC in terms of slickness so will be interesting to see how it performs.

IMG_20210108_185619.jpg

Ever Ready 1924 converted for modern handles
GEM blade
Yaqi Mew Brown (more on this next SOTD)
Alvarez Gomez Barbaria

I have to admit I actually prefer the 1912 at the moment. May be I am missing something but the 1924 appears a lot milder and takes some work to get BBS results. Incredibly smooth and nigh on impossible to do any damage. Still a great finish from an old man

Back
Top Bottom