Jamaican blue mountain

Has anyone tried this is it worth £14 a bag?
I have been on the York coffee emporium site and got a goody bag I know that different beans taste different but most are in £4-£7 price range.
What makes blue mountain so special?

I love blue mountain for me there is no better. I have bought it from a few places including amazon and grind the beans as i need them.
Jim

greyhounddad said:
Has anyone tried this is it worth £14 a bag?
I have been on the York coffee emporium site and got a goody bag I know that different beans taste different but most are in £4-£7 price range.
What makes blue mountain so special?

The relative scarcity of Jamaica Blue Mountain as it can only come from a designated area is the only thing that makes it special, plus there is always the snob factor as it is so pricy so consumers of it are reluctant to say it just isn't that special. There are far far better Single Origin Coffees available for around £4-£7 per 250g instead of the quite frankly ridiculous price of JBM, if you want something that is in the same vein but far superior try Australian Skybury.

Re £14 per bag thats a bag of only 100g of it as well !!

Thanks I got a selection box from York coffee emporium. One bag from each region and a special one. I got the sky bury and it's quite nice think think that was about £7.50 per 200g on its own.
I'm liking trying the different varieties and can actually taste the things said in the tasting notes.
So jbm is like champaign, can only be made in one area and tastes like cat wee

I went to Jamaica on holidays and visited the blue mountains. There, you could buy the stuff for 15US dollars per kilo.
I really enjoyed my kilo. It's a milder coffee and really nice. There is no way I would pay more than £25 a kilo though. There are too many other good coffees to enjoy.

greyhounddad said:
Thanks I got a selection box from York coffee emporium. One bag from each region and a special one. I got the sky bury and it's quite nice think think that was about £7.50 per 200g on its own.
I'm liking trying the different varieties and can actually taste the things said in the tasting notes.
So jbm is like champaign, can only be made in one area and tastes like cat wee

Coffee Compass from down in Brighton sell Australian Skybury for £12 for 500g, they are well worth checking out as they have an excellent list of coffee and great prices with reasonable postage and excellent service, I have probably ordered from them more times this year than anyone else and not been disappointed yet.

Just started new job in the big town, (Perth) bought a Bodum cup/press for coffee in the car. Whilst in the coffee shop I had a brief conversation with the owner. Blue Mountain £27 for 250g! He had coffee he claimed was very good and much better value at £12 called Bella Horizonte cup of excellence from El Salvador. I went for the Columbian at £3.50. Can't rip off a Yorkshireman! :) the cup/press is superb. As I have given up refined sugar and can take or leave milk in coffee, it is a simple case of coffee and hot water for a nice fresh coffee!!!!!!!

Hairsuite said:
it is a simple case of coffee and hot water for a nice fresh coffee!!!!!!!

Works every time. Only the amount of coffee (and type) varies the taste.

Nothing else in the equation to change it.

Jamaican Blue Mountain at yours next time?:icon_razz:

Just picked up some Java Mocha blend from a local shop. Smells lovely and can't wait for this afternoons fix.

Interestingly the fresh ground beans were about half the cost of what you'd pay in the supermarket for the stuff thats been on the shelf for weeks. Will be going back again.....

....and they had some Jamaican Blue Mountain beans.

Back
Top Bottom