J.A.Henckels Straight I.D.

Hi guys, I'd like to find out a bit more about this straight ie. age (pre/post war) possible value etc. The condition isn't bad but it's not like many I've seen. It has a chamfered slightly concave spine and different shoulder anatomy. Jimps only on the underside of the tang and quite a pronounced smile. Also no markings on the reverse side. I think the owner wants me to make him an offer on it but I'm not sure what would be a fair price.20220508_175855.jpeg20220508_175957.jpeg

The positives - not a great deal of hone wear; rarer model than some others; edge looks to be I’d decent condition.

The big downside is the rust which looks to go pretty deep and, I’m guessing, will not be removed easily unless you go for a re-grind. The scales appear to be common or garden and don’t have the markings that Henckels razors usually carry.

As regards value - and please bear in mind I’m no expert on makes and particular models - if this was on EBay, my maximum would be £50 but would hope it went for less. As it is, the razor needs a lot of attention in terms of removal from the scales so that the pivot area can be properly cleaned, a significant amount of polishing to remove rust spots, the scales would need to be cleaned and re polished and the blade honed. So, unless you can do that yourself, you are probably doubling the outlay And you would then have a very nice razor.

The positives - not a great deal of hone wear; rarer model than some others; edge looks to be I’d decent condition.

The big downside is the rust which looks to go pretty deep and, I’m guessing, will not be removed easily unless you go for a re-grind. The scales appear to be common or garden and don’t have the markings that Henckels razors usually carry.

As regards value - and please bear in mind I’m no expert on makes and particular models - if this was on EBay, my maximum would be £50 but would hope it went for less. As it is, the razor needs a lot of attention in terms of removal from the scales so that the pivot area can be properly cleaned, a significant amount of polishing to remove rust spots, the scales would need to be cleaned and re polished and the blade honed. So, unless you can do that yourself, you are probably doubling the outlay And you would then have a very nice razor.
Thank you Rob. I gave him £40 based on your estimate and I'm feeling quite pleased with that.
It's taken a fair bit of honing because of the smile but got there in the end. I wanted to see how it shaves before doing the rest of the work and it shaves really nicely. It's quite a plough, what with the chunky spine. I'm going to do a full job on it but looking for new scale inspiration. I think I saw somewhere in TSR some colourful acrylics but can't remember the name.. any ideas?

I think that's going to be a lovely bit of kit when it's all restored. Worth £40. I like the way smiling razors shave, and that one will be decent steel, rust spots notwithstanding.

Shavers delight on ebay can sell you some decent scales in wood, bone or plastic, not sure about the acrylic ones, but have you asked John June? He uses acrylic scales on his JJ Shorties (customised Gold Dollars) so he might be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks. I've had a mooch around and it was this stuff I was trying to remember. Kirinite.
I bought this from eBay Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 08.32.06.png
But also bought this from Etsy
Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 08.40.53.png
Which is called Pomelle Sapele. I'll have to decide when they arrive. Anyway the project is definitely on! Will post results but don't hold your breath... may take weeks.

Back
Top Bottom